chainring size increase- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

chainring size increase

All things being equal will a chinring increase in size feel as dramatic as a cog increase.Any advantages besides increased drivetrain life?Sorry if this has been beat to death.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton47 View Post
    All things being equal will a chinring increase in size feel as dramatic as a cog increase.Any advantages besides increased drivetrain life?Sorry if this has been beat to death.
    All things being equal, a chainring increase of one tooth is LESS dramatic than a cog increase of one tooth (presuming the chainring is larger than the cog in the first place.

mtbr member
    The more teeth on a sprocket the less difference 1 tooth will make, so your gear ratio will change more from changes on the rear cog, assuming the rear cog is smaller than the front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry for my poorly worded question.I'll be more specific.If I increase my chainring by 3 teeth compared to decreasing my rear cog by one...keeping in mind the 3'1 ratio...will doing the front feel different.I'm not doing both its one or the other.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton47 View Post
    Sorry for my poorly worded question.I'll be more specific.If I increase my chainring by 3 teeth compared to decreasing my rear cog by one...keeping in mind the 3'1 ratio...will doing the front feel different.I'm not doing both its one or the other.
    OK if you want more specific info, you need to give more specific info... what are you changing each FROM and TO?

Really what you ought to do is google 'single speed gear ratio' and 'gear inches' spend a few minutes researching these concepts so you have a beeter understanding, and you'll figure it out from there.

For the most part however, if you keep the same ratio or gear inches, it doesn't matter whether you get there by increasing the chainring or decreasing th cog, it's the ratio that matters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Here's my deal..I'm running a 32.20 on a El Mariachi.My training/racing focuses on mountainous (live in the NE) races.Feel good on that ratio even in the 60 70 mile range with 6-7000 ft climbing.But I ealize that pushing a 18 will be too much considering I plan to do 100 mile races.19 possibly.The reason I felt like I may change something is that on rolling/flattish portions of a coarse I'm spinning like crazy.I realize that goes with SS. I thought maybe increasing to 34-35 chainring my give me a little more in the flattish areas and smooth out the ultrahigh speed cadence.In climbing I didn't know whether doing a chainring change would put me in the hurt just as much as a cog or not.I'm looking basically that little bit more without blowing myself out over the long distance.What it comes down to is making the change...simulate a race and see.But any experience you guys have with different changes is great.

one chain loop
    simply divide the chainring tooth count by cog.

32/18 = 1.78
    33/18 = 1.83 1.83-1.78 = 0.05

32/18 = 1.78
    32/19 = 1.68 1.78-1.68 = 0.1

obviously one tooth count change in the cog is more drastic than chainring, IF, the chainring is bigger than cog.

BUT, like JB said, if chainring tooth count is less than the cog, the result will be opposite.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    I have found that a 2t chainring change is similar to a 1t cog change. Not exact, but, a close enough result.

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    Go here and plug in the cog/ chainring combo.
    Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks guys

Members who have read this thread: 1