mtbr member

chainring/chainstay clearance?

This got buried in another thread with an incorrect timestamp, so here's my question as a new post:
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    when i first installed my ENOs, the chainring was about 4mm away from hitting the chainstay. that's 3mm more than i would need, so it didn't bother me. the only problem i encountered with a 113 BB is that the crankset was too close to the frame, so the lockring was rubbing on the bottom bracket shell once i tighten down the crankarms
    I am chasing some chainstay/chainring interference issues on a new buildup, and came across the quote above... Is it general consensus that you only need 1mm clearance between your chainring and chainstay? I have already gone the route of a longer bb and I think it buys my about 1mm. Is this sufficent?

thanks!

I reckon it would depend on flex in the system, ergo hard to say for sure.

My K Monkey has 2-3mm of clearance with a 38t ring, and it works just fine.

mtbr member
    I am not sure mine is only 1mm, but it is pretty darn close! For reference I have a 113mm BB with a 38T ENO crankset on a Moots. I have been riding it like that for a few years now. I suppose there could be some lateral chainstay flex which could cause you issues? Good luck with figuring that one out. One of the bikeshops I was in suggested I dimple the chainstay for more clearance!!! Umm.....not sure I am willing to do that on my Moots, but it might be a possiblity if done properly on the right frame?

Cheers

Buzz

mtbr member
    thanks ionmuse and buzz. agreed, the big ariable here is how much flex will the chainstay see? This is regarding a new Dean Colonel Ti, and I had the stays customized a bit to take larger tire clearance, hence the reduced margin on chainring clearance. Buzz, your input on the Moots is good, as at least thats the same material

Anyone else? I measured my clearance, it is about 1.5mm. thanks.

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    I've got 2-3 mm on each of 2 SS bikes, but the critical factor in determining spindle length for me is chainstay clearance for my 200mm cranks. 2mm definitely wasn't enough to prevent contact while climbing out of the saddle, but we're talking about a much longer lever out there around mid-stay, and the flex of the crank is part of the equation as well. It's pretty tough to imagine a mm of displacement right at the BB shell, but that's not saying that it couldn't happen. FWIW, there's barely 1mm of clearance between the rear brake rotor and the chainstay on one bike and it's never been a problem.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

Members who have read this thread: 0