Chainring Bolts - Double Allen- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chainring Bolts - Double Allen

I've heard rumors that a double allen chain ring bolt exists but I have yet to find. I can not stand that standard chain ring bolts with an allen on one side and a double notch on the other side.

Bolts for either 1 ring or 1 ring with bash would be nice.

34N 118W

Shiggy?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiecker
    I've heard rumors that a double allen chain ring bolt exists but I have yet to find.
    wasn't he flashing some at Sea Otter???

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiecker
    I've heard rumors that a double allen chain ring bolt exists but I have yet to find. I can not stand that standard chain ring bolts with an allen on one side and a double notch on the other side.

Bolts for either 1 ring or 1 ring with bash would be nice.
    QBP used to have them in their catalog. They are for double rings, but they would work with a bash guard. I can't remember who made them though.
    I had a set on my Strongarm cranks. I can't understand why they aren't all made this way.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

made by truvativ...

only for doubles as far as i know.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I have a couple of FSA V-Drive (I think that's the name) cranksets that came packaged with such crankbolts. I have yet to use them - for some reason, they don't fit right with a single chainring and bashguard. Can't explain it for the life of me.

( )
    Nov 2004
    My Shimano Hone triple crankset came with the double allen bolt. It's so nice, I can't believe they didn't do it in the first place. I'm using single chainring with bashguard.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by dannybob
    only for doubles as far as i know.
    i have converted a number of firex and iso flow cranksets that use the double allen (the nice touch is two diff sized allens for the mortal with only one set of keys)...they are shorter BUT would only work with a blackspire ring or perhaps other around 4mm thick.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Like these?

Little spendy tho at $21.24 for a set of 5 but it sure would help with getting those frozen bolts free. Sure would like to see these in steel for single rings.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=CR2439
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sweet those should work. Just need to add a washer for my bikes that don't run bash guards....for some reason I haven't found them necessary at the velodrome Those should definitely help out in swapping rings fast though.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    I like'em.

They're made by Truvativ... QBP items CR2440 (steel) and CR2439 (aluminum).

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...and=438&type=T

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I have a couple of FSA V-Drive (I think that's the name) cranksets that came packaged with such crankbolts. I have yet to use them - for some reason, they don't fit right with a single chainring and bashguard. Can't explain it for the life of me.
    Actually, the FSA V-drives come with hex bolts and T-30 Torx nuts. They even include the wrench. I've seen the wrench sold with packs of their chainring bolt sets as well. It's an idea that's long overdue and quite nicely executed ... except they are aluminum. I've got a single Salsa chainring and FSA polycarbonate bash guard and it fits fine with those bolts/nuts.

The standard slotted chainring nut has been around forever and gets my vote for the longest running piece of sh!t ever forced on bikers. Some day I want to meet the guy who designed those things and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d!ckless, hopeless, heartless, [email protected], bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey sh!t he is! Hallelujah! Holy sh!t! Where's the Tylenol?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny
    Actually, the FSA V-drives come with hex bolts and T-30 Torx nuts. They even include the wrench. I've seen the wrench sold with packs of their chainring bolt sets as well. It's an idea that's long overdue and quite nicely executed ... except they are aluminum. I've got a single Salsa chainring and FSA polycarbonate bash guard and it fits fine with those bolts/nuts.

The standard slotted chainring nut has been around forever and gets my vote for the longest running piece of sh!t ever forced on bikers. Some day I want to meet the guy who designed those things and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d!ckless, hopeless, heartless, [email protected], bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey sh!t he is! Hallelujah! Holy sh!t! Where's the Tylenol?
    Is the family visiting?

Look at the time!
    It's nice to see that there finally is an alternative to the slotted nuts, and if i ever buy a new crank and it has double hex bolts i'll be happy about it

but
    would you really consider spending $20 on chainring bolts just because of this feature? a shimano or tacx or park chainring bolt tool costs like $1.50

also, slotted nuts have more threads and don't cause problems if your bolts are a bit too long.
    and the pictured tool will fit between your chainrings even if you run a big granny that partially covers the bolts..
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    i find the chainring bolt tool to be just about useless. it never fits into the slots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MudInMyEars
    Is the family visiting?
    Ellen: I don't know what to say, except it's Christmas and we're all in misery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    would you really consider spending $20 on chainring bolts just because of this feature?
    If they weren't aluminum, I'd consider paying $20 a steel

a shimano or tacx or park chainring bolt tool costs like $1.50
    Yup, and I've got 2 of the 3. There's $3.00 I flushed down the toilet.

also, slotted nuts have more threads and don't cause problems if your bolts are a bit too long.
    While it's true that slotted nuts have more threads [presumably compared to something with a hex pattern in the end of it], the bolts are always too long CAUSING the very problem we are all complaining about. In some cases, the bolt threads all the way flush with the back of the nut, making it completely impossible to engage the wrench into the nut. If there is any engagement depth at all, it is like 0.5mm which makes it hopelessly impossible to get the wrench to do anything other than spin out of the nut on the first 1in/lb of torque. At this point, the only thing that is going to help is to make all of the bolts shorter - and there goes the wonderful thread engagement depth. Once you shorten the bolts, you still have a crappy wrench that tends to pop out of the nut and you have no more thread engagement than a comparable Torx or hex nut. So if I can't get the thread engagement, could I at least get a decent tool that stays engaged and is easy to position and hold, please?

Recovering couch patato
    I'm standard bolt hater myself. which mini tool features a slotted thingy solution anyway for bolts that rattled loose? Just last weekend I had a discussion with a friend turning his bike around about how crappy these are.
    Over time I've learned that getting them to tighten seems easier than to loosen, they really heat up and get stuck nicely, by the time your wrists go sore.

Why weren't the bolt holes in the cranks slotted since day one? Or Hex, Or just elliptical?

banned
    Apr 2004

"longest running piece of sh!t

Quote Originally Posted by steiny

ever forced on bikers"
    You got that right, they could have at least made the back side of the bolt serrated.
    The tool for the back side of the bolt is the 2nd "longest running piece of sh!t"

Now, time to give credit to the simple minded geniuses who brought us threadless headsets and side pull V brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Speak of the devil

Exhibit A - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=203962

Anybody still think $20 is too much to pay for a good set of chainring fastners that you could get to stay tight?

blame me for missed rides
    overtightening chainring bolts is worse than undertightening. double hex is much easier to get overtightened.

Members who have read this thread: 3