Chainline & bottom bracket spindle length- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Chainline & bottom bracket spindle length

I put a new Endless Bike Kick-A**-Cog on my MC 29er a little while ago and decided to measure the chainline since the new Cog is 1/4" thick and has the teeth centered in the width.

The front chainline measurement is 47.5mm, and the rear is 51.5mm. I'd like to just stick a new $20 bottom bracket in there--a UN53 or something. The current bottom bracket is 68x110 (not the 68x116 on the Redline spec sheet), I pulled it out to make sure. So I'd like a spindle that is 3-4mm longer on the drive side.

My question (finally) does Shimano center the spindle lengthwise with their square-taper cartridge bottom brackets or are they offset to one side or the other? Or both? Would a 68x113 be 3mm longer than a 68x110 on the drive side? Or only 1.5mm longer on the drive side?

If it's centered I guess I need a 68x118, otherwise I could get my with something shorter.

I know I could put a ring on the outside of the spider instead of the middle, but I have two good middle rings that I really don't want to have to reverse to mount on the outside (to get the recessed bolt holes to line up).

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member

Bump!

I'd also like to know the answer to this question that was posted a couple months back...

Even though the particulars are a bit different in my case, I basically have the same question about which side(s) the extra spindle length shows up in.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I called around and talked to a couple of bike mechanics and they both basically said that there is no standard method for splitting the extra spindle length between the drive and non-drive sides when you go to a longer spindle, other than it is *not* split evenly between the two sides. And the manufacturers don't supply that information on their spec sheets.

I finally ended up at the LBS with a vernier calipers measuring the drive side of several bottom brackets. I got the spindle length I wanted but they only had it in one of those crappy Shimano half-plastic things. But I had to buy it there because they were great sports about letting me check the things out.

Combat Wombat
    Might help, for future reference anyway. I went through a similar situation before finding the right BB for a square taper crank I was using.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Brian

Members who have read this thread: 0