Chain tugs on a SS with a QR...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Chain tugs on a SS with a QR...

Just built up a Surly 1x1 and I am using a QR hub (with a good old 'crank it up tight' Shimano QR) on the rear. I have thought of using a chain tug on the drive side especially as I may ride it fixed sometimes.

Anyone using this set-up?

Most of the chain tugs are made for a 3/8" axle - it would not be difficult to make one to fit the QR spindle but what concerns me is that the serrated end of the QR would be replaced by effectively a flat washer, I could add a serrated washer in between I guess...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Actually Surly's tugnut comes with a QR adaptor (washer).

SSasquatch
    I am using the surly tug with QR adapter (drive side only), it works fine.

mtbr member
    i have a qr and two tugnuts on my 1x1 which also has disc brakes. it seems no matter how tight the quick release is, the non-drive side always backs off of the tugnut atleast a mm or more after a ride. i have come to believe that the forces of the disc brake are pulling the non-drive side back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thankd for the quick replies guys - the Surly tug nut is a nice piece for sure but here in the UK it costs 25 ($46)...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a Tug nut on the drive side only. I see the same drift on the rear axil. I have track nuts too. My rear axil moves under load as in climbing a steep hill. I have had to stop and reset the wheel after a hill climb to keep the disk brake from rubbing. Loosen the nondrive nut and the wheel pops back ( the frame was wound up?). It seems like if the brake pressure was going to make the wheel move it would be backward not forward. My bike is a steel IRO Mia with Promax Disks (slows).

Two tug nuts would fix it. Bottle openers on both sides.....

Exclusively Single
    I think you can buy the QR adapter/washer for the Surly tugnut seperately. i know I've seen them somewhere, shouldn't be hard to find from any QPB dealer. You can then use the adapter with any old tensioner.

As far as the teeth on the QR interfacing with the dropouts, being that there is a tugnut/tensioner, it becomes a non-issue because the tensioner is holding the axle in place, so you don't have to rely on the teeth of the QR gripping the surface of the dropout.

Exclusively Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker Bob
    Two tug nuts would fix it. Bottle openers on both sides.....
    A brake-side tugnut will not keep the axle from sliding backwards in the dropout. Not much you can do about disc brake-induced-rearward-axle-sliding other than making sure the QR or nuts are tight enough. That's a big advantage of sliding drops or a vertical drop/ebb setup, because it eliminates this problem. That being said, I still prefer the simplicity and function of horizontal drops/fork ends, just have to make sure the QR is tight enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    what is this QR adapter for the surly tuggnut?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618
    what is this QR adapter for the surly tuggnut?
    It's that washer looking thing on the right...

on my 3rd wind...
    Will using one of these with tugnut and ditching QR help?
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=QR8000
    sth

Members who have read this thread: 1