Chain tensioning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Chain tensioning

I was wondering how many of you have singlespeeds with vertical dropouts and without chain tensioner? I have that kind of setup on my Kona for a while and it works great, tension is great...So my question is how often do you change your chain? Due to stretch of the chain there isn`t any options (ENO is expensive if i buy it on the net) So.....

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Anually at the most for me.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

I've posted this a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Damjan
    I was wondering how many of you have singlespeeds with vertical dropouts and without chain tensioner? I have that kind of setup on my Kona for a while and it works great, tension is great...So my question is how often do you change your chain? Due to stretch of the chain there isn`t any options (ENO is expensive if i buy it on the net) So.....
    Poor mans Eno.
    Idea stolen from Sheldon Brown.Works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've been inside too long.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Damjan
    I've been running without a tensioner for about 5 months now and, although it's loosened up a fair amount during that time (~500mi), it's still fine. I'm pretty sure I'll get close to a typical life out of the chain (~1000mi) before it becomes too loose and starts popping off. Even if I end up replacing the chain earlier because of tension problems, it wouldn't bother me because I really dislike tensioners. A shorter replacement schedule is a small price to pay in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanx, i have that kind of setup about a year and a half and it snaped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    I've been running without a tensioner for about 5 months now and, although it's loosened up a fair amount during that time (~500mi), it's still fine. I'm pretty sure I'll get close to a typical life out of the chain (~1000mi) before it becomes too loose and starts popping off. Even if I end up replacing the chain earlier because of tension problems, it wouldn't bother me because I really dislike tensioners. A shorter replacement schedule is a small price to pay in my opinion.
    Thanx, that`s an answer:-)