Chain Tensioners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Chain Tensioners

To start just how tight do I need my chain? Using a frame not built for a ss so no nut tuggers for me, and ill be in the market for a tensioner, looking for something that looks good. All that said if I need it

mtbr member
    I like Yess tensioners. I have the ETR/D on my Giant Anthem SS and it works brilliantly.

Bike Geek
    Taut? I like these...

nut tuggers...sounds nasty...

local trails rider
    Tension: you should have a little slack to keep your bearings healthy. How much... hold the chain with your fingers, in the middle, and push it up and down. Maybe half an inch of easy movement, even a bit more.

Sometimes chainrings are not quite concentric. You should not feel any tight spots when you turn the cranks by hand.

BB mounted tensioners look like a great idea to me, but I have not tried them. Yess has a model and some use Blackspire Stinger and similar guides for tensioning.

I have a Rennen tensioner on one bike: it works and does not look bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Crank1979 how do you like your Anthem as a ss? Not many ride reports of full suspension SS, I have a Anthem as well ,and can't help but think that would be a great bike to convert, i have 2 hard tail ss that i ride but i do like the full suspension not the gears so much.

I know a full SS seems counter intuitive to most people, but i think it might be a great idea as i think 99% of riders have never tried a full suspension ss, any insights would be great.. i hear the Yess tensioner for a fully was the only way to go..
    Last edited by pindowngirl25; 04-26-2010 at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks team,

So the chain does not need to be "piano wire tight" But is doubt i will be alble to get that without a tensioner....

"Nut tuggers" good on a bike, bad in other places...

mtbr member
    look at this topic, about several comercial tensioners.

http://www.singlespeed-portugal.net/...ciais-t240.htm

Kiss my Grits!

old derailer on a FS convert

I just used my old derailer when I converted my single pivot FS Cake to SS. I don't ride it very often, but when I do it's pretty plush; I call it the "sofa" and I have never had a problem with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chain Tensioners-cake-vga.jpg  

Chain Tensioners-cake-drivetrain-vga.jpg  

Sometimes, with a very strenuous effort, I will fatigue.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBob
    So the chain does not need to be "piano wire tight"
    Exactly: if the chain is too tight, it puts lots of strain on your BB and hub bearings. And the system does not move freely. Not good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pindowngirl25
    Crank1979 how do you like your Anthem as a ss? Not many ride reports of full suspension SS, I have a Anthem as well ,and can't help but think that would be a great bike to convert, i have 2 hard tail ss that i ride but i do like the full suspension not the gears so much.

I know a full SS seems counter intuitive to most people, but i think it might be a great idea as i think 99% of riders have never tried a full suspension ss, any insights would be great.. i hear the Yess tensioner for a fully was the only way to go..
    It is brilliant. Not too much travel, but enough to make it more comfortable without feeling inefficient. My Anthem is the old 3.5" travel one. I'm running 130mm forks on it too. I haven't lost the chain yet. No guide on the front, just a Renthal chainring with a 9 speed chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    and too loose it will skip, pop off under a heavy load...

Well I still hope to get a the correct tension using a half link and a standard ss chain. we shall see!

local trails rider
    and too loose it will skip, pop off under a heavy load...
    I get away with a pretty loose chain. Maybe it has something to do with two things:
    - I get a perfect chain line with lots of skinny spacers.
    - my frames are very stiff: the "rear triangles" have no sideways flex, however hard I push the pedals. I am a heavier guy too, and it isn't all fat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A chain which is too tight will also rob energy. Generally my chains run with a total of 1" vertical play at the loosest point. I also run SS specific chain rings, which gives me a much larger margin of error.

So far as tensioners, I think the best value ones are the rigid bolt on type like the DMR or Rennen. More upscale is the White Eno eccentric hub, which I'm a huge fan of works extremely well:
    http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html

If your frame and crankset are compatible, then I think the Forward Components EBB is the best tensioner currently available:
    http://forwardcomponents.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Pardon my ignorance, but the EBB would simply work by turning the BB till it puts the correct tention on the chain?

Thanks for all the info, its great stuff!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Pardon my ignorance, but the EBB would simply work by turning the BB till it puts the correct tention on the chain?
    Correct, then it's locked into place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well,

After all this I got some bad news! Just got the Trek 6000 i won on ebay and it is junk. BB threads are stripped out, looks like to ship it the seller pounded out the BB and crankset. Pay pal claim is coming, long of the short I might end up using this Nashbar frame for my 9spd mtn bike now. Maybe Ill buy the Nashbar 29r SS..........

Thats $300 down the drain!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Now you really are poor! Sorry, that blows.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    A chain which is too tight will also rob energy. Generally my chains run with a total of 1" vertical play at the loosest point. I also run SS specific chain rings, which gives me a much larger margin of error.

So far as tensioners, I think the best value ones are the rigid bolt on type like the DMR or Rennen. More upscale is the White Eno eccentric hub, which I'm a huge fan of works extremely well:
    http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html

If your frame and crankset are compatible, then I think the Forward Components EBB is the best tensioner currently available:
    http://forwardcomponents.blogspot.com/

Still waiting on the FC square taper EBB.....
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Pwning Trails
    I'm digging the surly chain tug : http://jensonusa.com/store/product/R...Tensioner.aspx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chain Tensioners-img00009-20100430-1445.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0