@adelorenzo

Chain tensioner for Surly dropout

Since I twisted the screw on my Tugnutt into a fine 'S' shape a couple of months ago, I've been looking at replacing it with a different tug. I was checking on-line today and this Spot Brand one seems nice, uses two screws instead of one, and also has the coveted bottle opener feature.

Can anyone comment on the strength and fit with Surly dropouts? I'm running Phil Wood bolt-on hubs. Other suggestions welcome as well.

Regards,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can't really provide info on tugs other than the Surly, but how did you end up twisting the screw into an 'S' shape? Just curious.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast
    Can't really provide info on tugs other than the Surly, but how did you end up twisting the screw into an 'S' shape? Just curious.
    I've done that to 2 of them myself; I just figured it was from the awesome torque of my huge guns.
    Can't comment on the Spot, but I've been using a Redline tug that's been working great for a couple of months.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a super basic one that I got when I worked at a shop. A simple, black alu model with a 10mm headed nut. Works great, looks clean and it's light. By the way, I have a 1x1. In fact, here's a picture:

It can be tough to get a wrench small enough to carry everyplace to use with it, but I have a tiny Odyssey 10mm box end/spoke wrench on my keys that I use.

Also, a big tug like a Spot or Surly isn't needed other than for cred points since they're unnecessarily heavy (for that what they are). Additionally, you should already own a Surly Jethro Tule, so a chaintug with a bottle opener becomes superfluous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    Since I twisted the screw on my Tugnutt into a fine 'S' shape a couple of months ago, I've been looking at replacing it with a different tug. I was checking on-line today and this Spot Brand one seems nice, uses two screws instead of one, and also has the coveted bottle opener feature.

Can anyone comment on the strength and fit with Surly dropouts? I'm running Phil Wood bolt-on hubs. Other suggestions welcome as well.

Regards,
    Anthony
    I've used the Spot on a Surly dropout without any problems. No problems with durability.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo

Regards,
    Anthony
    Lots of people use the Spot, so I may have just had bad luck, but it was no good for me. The bolts are VERY small diameter (4mm I think). One disappeared the first week. I took the other one out to match it for a replacement and found that it was bent. I also discovered that no one on-line or locally had a bolt the same length and diameter and with threads going the whole length of the bolt. I'm back to a one bolt design where the bolt is much bigger.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

I am the owl
    Replace the screw with a $.75 allen head from the local hardware store.

If you are looking for a new tensioner the Redline is hard to beat and they run $10-12 for a pair and work with the Surly dropouts. No bottle opener but that's what your pedals are for.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Replace the screw with a $.75 allen head from the local hardware store.

Thanks, I tried an internet search, the hardware store, the bike store, and a local "metric nuts and bolts" warehouse. I only found one at the warehouse, but the threads only covered 2/3 of the bolt length. The original long bolts are 4mm x 30mm (or 1 1/4") long. I found some online, but only in Europe. I'm sure they can be found in the USA, but not yet.

I am the owl
    The place for nuts, bolts, tools and all kinds of weird materials for any project you might dream up:
    McMaster Carr
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Bikeman.com has all the replacement parts you need for the Surly tuggnut.

flow where ever you go
    thanks for the ideas, I'll check them out

@adelorenzo
    Thanks all for the responses so far. Some replies:

CB2: I jammed it into an S shape while climbing. Likely my axle nuts weren't torqued enough, combined with the fact that my chain position had most of the screw length exposed and it couldn't handle the strain.

RiderX: Finding a screw that will fit the tugnutt would be tricky, since it needs to have that little skinny bit on the end to accept that other little piece that fits the dropout. Besides, if one bent I'm sure others will, so hopefully I can find something a little sturdier. Redline tugs do look pretty solid as well.

noshortcuts: Those Spot bolts do look a bit skinny in the picture. I was wondering about that.

Matty H: That tug looks pretty solid. I might see what LBS has, I know he does carry some BMX parts. Funny you should mention the Jethro Tule -- same ride I trashed my Tugnutt I lost my J.T. after I re-tightened my axle nuts. I stuck it into my pocket and it wasn't there when I got back.

Regards,
    Anthony

Members who have read this thread: 0