chain tensioner or the special hub for the vertical dropout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

chain tensioner or the special hub for the vertical dropout

Hi

I want to build up an SS on a reynolds 853 frame with the normal vertical dropout. I don't have a spare wheel. So I could buy a 8/9 speed hub wheel and run chain tensioner with it. Can I use SS hub directly? I have seen some photos showing a kind of SS hub on the vertical dropout frame. Is it a mere SS hub or something else? It sounds like "ONM" hub. I can't recall what's name out of it. I want to eliminate the extra parts since I will get a new wheel anyhow.

thanks
    m

mtbr member
    White Industries ENO Eccentric hub. I don't own one, but I've got two buddies with them...one very sweet hub indeed. I'm sure others will chime in.

mtbr member
    If you're going to build up a new rear wheel, then I'd suggest that White Industries Eric's Eccentric ENO hub. I use a tensioner, primarily because I wanted to use the wheelset off the bike I converted to SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

costs

I dont use the eno because im a poor college student, it costs around $145-160 and people seem to be pretty damn happy about them. Your chainline has to match up (not that hard) you have to build up the wheel, and then you can go riding. You'll need a freewheel, and while the white industries one is nice, acs claws freewheels are just fine as well.
    A simple coversion means spacers (about $10-$20), a cog (i suggest a steel king kog, a spicer, or a boone to avoid destroying the hub), and a tensioner. i use a soulcraft convert but this one looks pretty damn neat http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/rollen_info.html. So, a simple tensioner conversion would run you around 80 or 90 with an expensive tensioner cog and spacers, while a conversion would be around 200-250 for the hub, spokes and freewheel. also a great place to get spokes is www.oddsandendos.com, nice guys there.

"Mr. Britannica"

another potential negative

is removal of the fw, which apparently ain't so simple (albeit not something to be done that often). I guess there is no holy grail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

i've got a white bros eric's eccentric ENO...

...and overall i'm very happy with it. i had a problem with the hub rolling foreward just a little and the chain tension getting slack but i think that was my own fault for not cleaning the dropouts well enough and not tightening the hub into place properly. since then i believe i've corrected the issue. the hub itself is beautiful and smooth as butter. they are a bit pricey but not having to deal with a chain tensioner and not having to modify your frame makes it all worth while.

my advice: get one.

word,
    head mcm#500

mtbr member
    I'm right there with you on the ENO moving a bit. I've only had mine on for about a week, and only ridden it twice, but it has moved, ever so slightly, both times. Not enough to derail the chain, but I know it has in fact moved.

I also find it a little difficult to tension the chain because it keeps wanting to jump out of the dropouts as I'm rotating it with a 19mm wrench. With my BMX bikes I would just tighten the non drive side and use it as a pivot point to pull the drive side back, but you can't do that on this.

All in all I'm very happy with the hub. White makes awesome stuff, and I would choose this over a chain tensioner in a heartbeat. Just my two cents worth...
    Rick

A plain old rider

ENO it!

I would recomend just sucking it up and getting the ENO, because once its built you can easily tranform any bike you like to a single speed in a matter of minutes (so long as it doesn't have disk brakes, and has the same rear spacing as the hub you get 135mm for MTB). It was a dream come true for me because I was obssesed with trying to get rid of the chain tensioner I was using.
    The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.

Fred Rogers