Chain tensioner ab oval- Mtbr.com
    Ruckus99ss

Chain tensioner ab oval

Iíve done a few searches and Iím not having luck. I want to ss my trek procaliber. What tensioner works best with a oval chainring. Bike is basically at 19lbs flat and think it would be a fun ss bike
    Project One Trek Madone 9
    Trek Top Fuel 9.8
    Pivot Les

mtbr member
    Any tensioner at the rear hub should work. An oval ring should not behave noticably differently from a round ring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Chain tension varies noticeably with my oval ring (30T Blackspire oval snaggletooth), but it hasn't been a problem on my 1x1. I would look for one of the spring loaded ones, like the shimano Alfine (https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Al...hain-Tensioner). I used one of these when I converted a full sus frame to SS without a problem. I imagine chain growth on my FS had a more severe impact on chain tension than the oval ring will.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

Ruckus99ss
    I was considering a Rohloff or Melvin. Rohloff Is first choice but which one? Iíve seen people using dh and talk of new and old model
    Project One Trek Madone 9
    Trek Top Fuel 9.8
    Pivot Les

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I used a blackspire BB roller as a tensioner on a Yelli with AB oval with no tension issues at all. Then on the nimble 9 used stock sliders with AB and snaggletooth, both 32t, no issues with either again. Use what ever light weight tensioner you want and set your tension on the tightest part of the chainring, the loose part is not enough to drop a straight chain.

The perfessor
    - I run a godspeed tensioner and an absoluteblack oval, don't have any issues and never have........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've been running a Rohloff with good success. There are two things I would do though.

First, is make sure you buy one that is most appropriate for your spacing. I bought a standard Rohloff for my Tallboy, and had to flip my chainring to get the chainline to work. After bending the arm on that one, I tried their '+10' version, and the chainline is far better.

Also, if you use the non DH version of either of their tensioners, you'll notice that the shoulder on the mounting bolt is just a hair taller than the tensioner arm, so that the tensioner can float up or down like a derailleur. I take a small .005" shim and add it to the shoulder bolt so that it locks the tensioner down rigidly. I would occasionally get a skip before, and it would seem that locking the tensioner down has stopped this. Just remember you have to loosen the bolt to get the wheel out.

Melvin is nice too, but you will be slightly more limited in cog size. I did however just buy some Word hubs from Paul, and may become a very loyal follower since their customer service was unbelievably good.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    I've run the Rohloff DH version on both my Norco Revolver and my Specialized Epic FS without any problems. A great setup.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.