chain tensioner- Mtbr.com

Thread: chain tensioner

mtbr member

chain tensioner

I've got a 29er monocog and I'm running a race face diablo crankset with a 22 32 bash gaurd.

I want to be able to switch between the 2 front rings without switching the chain.

I'm not strong enough or light enough to leave it on the 32t ring yet.

so depending on what trails I ride I'm R2 chains

whats your opinion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhitter
    I've got a 29er monocog and I'm running a race face diablo crankset with a 22 32 bash gaurd.

I want to be able to switch between the 2 front rings without switching the chain.

I'm not strong enough or light enough to leave it on the 32t ring yet.

so depending on what trails I ride I'm R2 chains

whats your opinion?
    I don't think your dropouts are long enough to account for a 10t difference in chain length between those gear combinations.

What size rear cog are you using? A 22t chainring with most any cog size sounds extremely low for singlespeeding. I think you would be surprised how well a 22t rear cog works

mtbr member
    My rear ring is a 20T

I realize it is low geared but I'm 6'7" 320 and am riding steep hills that I enjoy being able to climb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhitter
    My rear ring is a 20T

I realize it is low geared but I'm 6'7" 320 and am riding steep hills that I enjoy being able to climb.
    OK, makes sense.

To be able to use the same length chain with two gear ratios, the cog size has to change as well. If you find the right combo its doable. For instance 24x22 (very close to your current 22x20) and 32x14 would use the same length of chain, which would give you a hill gear and a road gear.

Enjoy your ride

mtbr member
    Paul's Melvin clains you can run two chainrings with up to a 20 tooth difference. Might be the tensioner you need?

www.paulcomp.com/melvin.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Paul's Melvin clains you can run two chainrings with up to a 20 tooth difference. Might be the tensioner you need?

www.paulcomp.com/melvin.html
    Good idea. Running a tensioner on an SS frame goes against my normal standards, but that would allow the OP to do what he originally asked

EDIT: oops. The Monocog does not have a derailleur hanger. The Melvin would require some sort of add-in hanger for horizontal drops
    Last edited by boomn; 11-26-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Ride Responsibly
    I ran a two speed manual shift for a while with a Melvin, works very well, as it should for the price.
    One thing, even though it adds all the stuff a SS tries to eliminate, a front derailleur helps. Changing that chain by hand gets old real fast.
    Another option you may want to consider is going 1x9. Not knowing if the Mono has a hanger or not?

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    I ran a two speed manual shift for a while with a Melvin, works very well, as it should for the price.
    One thing, even though it adds all the stuff a SS tries to eliminate, a front derailleur helps. Changing that chain by hand gets old real fast.
    Another option you may want to consider is going 1x9. Not knowing if the Mono has a hanger or not?
    Mono doesn't have a hanger but you can do this.
    http://www.bikeman.com/FS3102.html

I just ordered one and can't give you a review yet but it looks promising.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    that looks like a good option what tensioner will you use?

LMK how it works out.

Members who have read this thread: 0