Which chain tensioner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Which chain tensioner?

I'm about to build my Dekerf Implant SSer.

I will be running a 38/18T setup, but I believe I'll need a tensioner.

Please can you advise on what to get?

Am I right in saying a Rohloff tensioner would be a good choice?

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I think they're all good, some maybe a little better than others. I've had good luck with both Soulcraft and Surly. I do prefer the Soulcraft though, it seems to hold a little better than the Surly. I han't used the Rohloff, but it gets great reviews.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member
    Thanks Homer, I've just seen the other thread too, the Rennen looks like a nice product too, I may speak to them...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition J
    Thanks Homer, I've just seen the other thread too, the Rennen looks like a nice product too, I may speak to them...
    Don't own either but i like the Rennen and the Melvin.

Manual4ever

rennen

The Rennen is the best one out there bar none.

Can we get a sticky thread for tensioners?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Dmr

About $35 through your LBS. They order it from QBP or the other catalog that I can't remember the name of. Been using it for a while with no guides and ramped cogs front and rear, even a Sram 8 speed chain meant to shift with and never dropped once...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    i have a Rennen i'd sell for $25 + shipping.

i believe them to be the best tensioners made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sent you a PM.

Mark

ballbuster

How smooth is that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding
    About $35 through your LBS. They order it from QBP or the other catalog that I can't remember the name of. Been using it for a while with no guides and ramped cogs front and rear, even a Sram 8 speed chain meant to shift with and never dropped once...
    I'm considering dumping my Surly tensioner. The spring broke, and I'm now zip tying it to the chainstay. Heck the thing dumped chains even at the correct tension with a good spring. The chain used to aslo catch the side little U-loop thingy and whup it all out of whack, making it sound like a chiansaw and making me pull over and fix it.

It looks like the chian rides on the plates, and not the rollers on that thing. Is it still smooth at that point?

I also tried a half link, and that didn't help get the spacing right. I'm one step away from filing a slot in my dropouts and tensioning that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

corrrect me if I'm wrong but. . .

I don't think a Rennen will fit on breezer style dropouts. I can't tell in the photo of the Implant on DeKerf's site but they use breezer style dropouts on their other bikes. You may want to check this out.

Blakcloud

mtbr member
    I just got my DMR STS tensioner today. It's made very well but I did have a problem with the part that attaches to the skewer. I had to file about 1/16" off of the face of that piece so that it would be flush with the der. hanger. This may be a problem to Specialized bikes though. Also, the SRAM PC1 chain is a very tight fit in the roller. An 8 speed chain works better.

Just Ride!
    Now for super smooth operation with a roller type tensioner, add a chain that is flat on one side. I have not gotten to try these yet, but the offerings from YBN look to be the ticket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakcloud
    I don't think a Rennen will fit on breezer style dropouts. I can't tell in the photo of the Implant on DeKerf's site but they use breezer style dropouts on their other bikes. You may want to check this out.

Blakcloud

Not sure yet, we are waiting on my Implant to arrive, but I liked the look of the Rennen so much I became their UK distributor!

We'll see how it gets on with the Dekerf frame in the next couple of weeks...

hands up who wants to die
    I've never heard of YBN, but KMC makes some nice bmx chains that are flat on the top like that. I have a 710SL i think. No tensioner though.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Rollenlager will not work with Breezer style drops.

Ed
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition J
    Not sure yet, we are waiting on my Implant to arrive, but I liked the look of the Rennen so much I became their UK distributor!

We'll see how it gets on with the Dekerf frame in the next couple of weeks...

I've used a Paul Melvin on two different hardtails (Bonty Race Lite, Jamis Dakota) with no problems.

Members who have read this thread: 0