Chain tension-on the SS- Mtbr.com
    RMG
    mtbr member

Chain tension-on the SS

Started riding a single speed seriously now and I am finding that at the beginning of each ride, the chain is nice and taut. By the end of the ride it is all sloppy.
    It is not a converted single speed and it does have the horizontal drop outs so it's not that-It's a Solo one.
    Would a chain tensioner thing help with this? Or is this normal and I just have to keep pulling the wheel back & re-tightening after every ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMG
    Started riding a single speed seriously now and I am finding that at the beginning of each ride, the chain is nice and taut. By the end of the ride it is all sloppy.
    It is not a converted single speed and it does have the horizontal drop outs so it's not that-It's a Solo one.
    Would a chain tensioner thing help with this? Or is this normal and I just have to keep pulling the wheel back & re-tightening after every ride?
    Does the axle move or does the chain stretch (wear)?
    What brand of chain? I switched to KMC and it doesn't wear as fast as a SRAM.

RMG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Does the axle move or does the chain stretch (wear)?
    What brand of chain? I switched to KMC and it doesn't wear as fast as a SRAM.
    I believe the axle is moving-not really chain stretch then I guess. The chain is in fact a KMC.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMG
    I don't know if you could get a tensioner on there even if you wanted to (you don't want to) because there's no derailleur mount. I have to rotate my EBB to retighten my chain every few rides. Can you put a tugnut on there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sounds like the axle on your solo one is moving a bit. Something like this http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1401 or similar should fix your problem.

RMG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klutter
    Sounds like the axle on your solo one is moving a bit. Something like this http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1401 or similar should fix your problem.

Thanks. I bet that will work. I am going to get one and see if it fixes the problem.

mtbr member

Idea! Try a SRAM PC-1 chain...

In my experience, KMC chains are the equivalent of rubber bands (at least the stock ones they put on Bianchi singlespeeds). Slap on a SRAM PC-1. If a poor chain was the issue, you will then be good to go!

Steamroller

Two things

The Solo-one comes with a crappy chain, at least the 2004 I had did. Get a good chain, I prefer a PC7X it's better quality than a PC1 though a PC1 will probably do.

Also a tuggnutt is critical, at least on the drive side, you will probably never be able to keep the chain tight without it, unless you are a small guy who generates very little torque. The Surly is nice, but any number of cheaper ones will work OK.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    also check e-bay, some guy on there sells redline tugs in pairs for around $12. Not as sexy as the Surly but they work fine, I have them on my Fetish..

Members who have read this thread: 0