Chain Tension problems- Mtbr.com
    Single Speed Junkie

Chain Tension problems

I am rinning a blackspire 32t chainring on a set of Race Face Next square taper cranks with a ti 17t White Industries rear freewheel. Problem that I have is when the chain is properly tensioned in one position of the cranks when rotated it will loose or gain tension depending on where the cranks are sitting. Everything is new and should not be out of round due to wear, so what is my problem, except that I am unable to figure this problem out for myself.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    I am rinning a blackspire 32t chainring on a set of Race Face Next square taper cranks with a ti 17t White Industries rear freewheel. Problem that I have is when the chain is properly tensioned in one position of the cranks when rotated it will loose or gain tension depending on where the cranks are sitting. Everything is new and should not be out of round due to wear, so what is my problem, except that I am unable to figure this problem out for myself.
    if your bike has horizontal dropouts, simply use a tug on the driveside (or on both if you're like me and fancy overkill). problem solved. if you have vertical dropouts, you might need to convert your hub axle to a solid one with track nuts to get the thing locked down tight. then again, perhaps I am misunderstanding the entire problem...
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's not uncommon.

The chainring is likely just a bit off center on the crank spider. Set the crank in position where the chain is tightest, loosen the chain ring bolts and the chain will back off a bit and retighten. Rotate the cranks, check the tension and tweak it as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by crux

mtbr member
    Sheldon Brown has a big write up on this. Basically the bolt circle on the cranks or chain ring (or both) are not exactly centered on the BB, thus the chain tension varies depending on crank position. Pretty common as most cranks & chain rings are designed for deraillures, so a slight offset is not usually noticable. Also, the Next Crank's chain ring tabs are inserts that are held by the granny bolts, so slight differences in how they seat will affect the centering.

Follow Sheldon's instructions, lossen the chain ring bolts slightly, see if you can work the chain ring to the center by taping the chain when it is tight, and/or rotate the chainring to another position.

Could also be a slight our ot round on the freewheel too, but that is unlikely with the White Ind. (Shiamno & ACS are another story!)

Cheers,

Tom

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    Sheldon Brown has a big write up on this. Basically the bolt circle on the cranks or chain ring (or both) are not exactly centered on the BB, thus the chain tension varies depending on crank position. Pretty common as most cranks & chain rings are designed for deraillures, so a slight offset is not usually noticable. Also, the Next Crank's chain ring tabs are inserts that are held by the granny bolts, so slight differences in how they seat will affect the centering.

Follow Sheldon's instructions, lossen the chain ring bolts slightly, see if you can work the chain ring to the center by taping the chain when it is tight, and/or rotate the chainring to another position.

Could also be a slight our ot round on the freewheel too, but that is unlikely with the White Ind. (Shiamno & ACS are another story!)

Cheers,

Tom
    Ive read this and clearly misunderstood the poster's question. Good advice Tom.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!