Chain tension-how much?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Chain tension-how much?

I'm running a Rohloff hub on a standard vertical dropout frame. I'm using a chain tensioner and have it pulled about as tight as the picture in the Rohloff manual. On rocky, technical trails my chain keeps coming off. ANytime I hit large bumps at speed, I'm losing my chain. How tight should I be running my chain?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is your tensioner pushing down on the chain or pushing up? If you can install it pushing up I think you'll have better luck.

French for "Suck"

Tight enough...

So that when plucked, it should ring out in a clear A#.

Seriously, I like it when there is approximately 1/2" of vertical play in the chain. Where is it coming off on the rough trail, the cog or the chainring? Could your chainline be to blame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the reply's. The chain is coming off of the chainring. Chain line is dead on straight. I think I'm going to remove a few links and see if that helps. I'm running a 9 speed chain, dont know if thats causing the problem or not. Probably not.

French for "Suck"
    Are you running a SS specific chainring, that is, one without ramps or pins, and with tall teeth? Sometimes the taller teeth are all you need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nope. Running a standard shimano chainring. I'll check into what your talking about. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chipw
    Nope. Running a standard shimano chainring. I'll check into what your talking about. Thanks
    That's the problem. I had the same issue with my first SS build. I've used a tensioner and ramped cogs from a busted up cassette, and never dropped the chain from a cog, but no matter how tight the chain, it would always drop from a ramped ring. There are lots of non-ramped rings available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chipw
    If you can, use a 8-speed unramped chainring, and an 8-speed or lower chain. High end chains are also designed to derail easily (to aid shifting). I've been using a lower end 6-speed KMC chain on my Rohloff.

If all else fails, Rohloff has a front chain guide that will solve this problem.

French for "Suck"
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    If you can, use a 8-speed unramped chainring, and an 8-speed or lower chain.
    There are plenty of single-speed and BMX specific chains that are 3/32" wide (8-speed stuff). Also, Surly, Salsa, and Blackspire all make SS specific chainrings. Surly's are steel though, so they will probably last longer.

Members who have read this thread: 0