Chain tension changes with crank rotation- Mtbr.com
    Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

Chain tension changes with crank rotation

Just fitted a new chain and rear cog and I'm having a hard time adjusting the chain tension. I'm using an Ornage P7 frame with sliding modular dropouts. I got the chain tensioned and started to work on changing the pedals. As I turned the cranks the tension increased and decreased as they turned. Any one have an idea? Thanks sanspeur
    If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

mtbr member
    Your chainring is probably not perfectly circular. That is a pretty common thing and some show it more than others. One thing I have seen working is: leave your chainring bolts just slightly loose, not so the chainring can just move around, but you could shift it if you had to. then install your chain at the "proper tension" and rotate through a few times... sometimes that helps to even the chainring on the spider. just a thought.

Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

thanks....

I'll try centering the chainring and see if that helps. It makes sense as it is tight and loose at the same point in the crank revolution. I'll let you know how I get on.

PS in future I guess it pays to search my questions prior to asking them. Thanks sanspeur.
    If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

mtbr member

Imperfect Chainrings

Quote Originally Posted by sanspeur
    I'll try centering the chainring and see if that helps. It makes sense as it is tight and loose at the same point in the crank revolution. I'll let you know how I get on.

PS in future I guess it pays to search my questions prior to asking them. Thanks sanspeur.

I had the same problem and I was told it was because the chainring bolt pattern and teeth are machined in two different processes and causes imperfectly centred chainrings - I had some top quality, boutique chain rings that are like this.

I now buy my chainrings from this company http://www.cycleunderground.com.au/ so that problem is yesterday's news.
    Go Big or Go Home

Members who have read this thread: 1