Chain Tension- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chain Tension

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New question here. Chain Tension

Sorta a hard question to answer in words...but, what is the ideal tension of a chain on a SS? I have horizontal dropouts, with the horizontal dropout specific tensioner. Waste of valuable forum space..I know. Thanks.

Reviewer/Tester
    If ..... you have no tight spots in the chain run between cogs .... then a half inch play in the bottom run of the chain with the top run under tension from the pedals is fine.

In other words... place some pressure on the chain with the crank via the pedal with one hand... then check for a half inch 'up' play in the bottom run of the chain in all positions of the chain as you rotate the chain through one full revolution.

HTH,

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mamadirt
    According to 63xc.com . . . You may have noticed when trying to get your chain tension dialed in that the chain is tight in some spots and loose in others. This is normal(sic). Chainrings and crankarms bend, warp and deform in use, and generally aren't perfectly round to begin with. I like to adjust my chain so that the chain still runs freely when it's at its tightest spot.

I've heard folks say that there should be an inch of downward movement when pressing on the centre of the chain from above - I prefer to run mine a little tighter (about 1/2").

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Awesome. I'll be sure to tension within these parameters. Muchas Gracias.

Members who have read this thread: 0