chain suggestion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

chain suggestion

for a geared bike I usually just go with Shimano XT or something. But for SS I want some input on what is a good solid chain to cut down on the chance of it breaking.

I'm using a hub (XTR 960 i believe) that was meant for gears so I'm going to need a thinner chain I assume, as opposed to a BMX style which is more burly and meant for SS applications.

any suggestions? or can you point me to where this has been discussed already.

thx

aka baycat
    Used an 8 speed SRAM and KMC 610 without problems.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnj
    for a geared bike I usually just go with Shimano XT or something. But for SS I want some input on what is a good solid chain to cut down on the chance of it breaking.

I'm using a hub (XTR 960 i believe) that was meant for gears so I'm going to need a thinner chain I assume, as opposed to a BMX style which is more burly and meant for SS applications.

any suggestions? or can you point me to where this has been discussed already.

thx
    The hub has no bearing as to what chain you run. I'd suggest a good 8 speed or 3/32" bmx chain. 9 and 10 speed chains are a little narrow and will fit tight on true SS specific gearing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    I'd suggest a good 8 speed or 3/32" bmx chain.
    good advice. I was reading on this a few moments ago. That is the best way, those chains are the best bet I would think.

I guess Surly makes these types of cogs and spacer kits.

Members who have read this thread: 0