chain slack problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

chain slack problem

I have a slight problem with my Zion 29er. I set the gear ratio up so that I could deal with some of the rougher climbs when I head to the mountains. I'm running a 32x22 which feels great on those fun climbs in pisgah but I ran into a problem with the chain slack. I have the eccentric bottom bracket about as far forward as it can get and have taken out all the links I can but the chain has, in my opinion, too much slack. I'm running a KMC single speed chain.

Any suggestions would be great.

local trails rider
    A "half link" should do it. Just find one that is the right width for your chain.

Can you get a pic of your situation?

Mark
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by runbuddha
    ...but the chain has, in my opinion, too much slack...
    I've found my SS to be really pretty forgiving of chain slack.
    how are you determining that your setup is unusable? does it skip? Does it thrrow the chain?
    ===============

Mark

mtbr member
    the other day on a technical climb it threw the chain

Got single track/speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by runbuddha
    I have a slight problem with my Zion 29er. I set the gear ratio up so that I could deal with some of the rougher climbs when I head to the mountains. I'm running a 32x22 which feels great on those fun climbs in pisgah but I ran into a problem with the chain slack. I have the eccentric bottom bracket about as far forward as it can get and have taken out all the links I can but the chain has, in my opinion, too much slack. I'm running a KMC single speed chain.

Any suggestions would be great.
    Are you saying that if you take out any more links (2), the chain will be too short because the eccentric cannot be adjusted far enough back?

If this is the case, as somebody suggested, a half link should resolve that issue. Otherwise, you'll have to change either the chainring or the cog to a different size.

I did have a similar situation where a 33/22 combination and the eccentric in the most rearward position was exactly the size of my chain. It was very difficult to join the ends of the chain. After struggling with it and finally connecting the ends, I realized I could have dropped the rear axle out of the dropout and connected the chain ends easily. Since it was a brand new chain, chainring and cog, they quickly wore in on the first ride and needed a tension adjustment.

Maybe after a few more rides you will be able to remove 2 links and make it work.

-Chuck

mtbr member
    I guess I'll try throwing back on the old chain to see if I can't squeeze it on but the best solutions looks to spend 3 bucks and get the half link

Members who have read this thread: 0