Chain skip on new SS?- Mtbr.com
    bob
    mtbr member

Chain skip on new SS?

I set up a Giant XTC as a SS and the chain keeps skipping on the front chain ring when I stand and really get on the pedals. I'm using Truvativ SS cranks and ring, SRAM PC 89R chain, and a Surley tensioner.....all of which are new. I eyeballed the chain length and the top and bottom of the chain are running paralell with each other. I don't think the chain would grab anymore chainring teeth if I shortened it. The skip dissipates as I put more tension on the tensioner but there is so much tension the gears are making quite a racket (it's more tension than a regular derailuer would apply).

Any ideas on where I went wrong?

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Ibut there is so much tension the gears are making quite a racket (it's more tension than a regular derailuer would apply).

Any ideas on where I went wrong?
    Are you pulling down or pushing up with the singulator? Noisy gears to me sounds like your chainline is not straight. Looking at the chain from the back, is the chain making a perfectly straight line from the cog to front chainring?
    Last edited by gpsser; 05-04-2004 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelin'
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    So, you feel the chain is aligned? The would be the first place I'd look. Second, is the ring new? I had a similiar problem, swapped out the ring with a new Salsa ring, and the skipping was gone. Third, you might want to look into a SS-specific chain, so it grabs the SS-specific ring a bit more smoothly.

bob
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Are you pulling down or pushing up with the singulator? Noisy gears to me sounds like your chainline is not straight. Looking at the chain from the back, is the chain making a perfectly straight line from the cog to front chainring?
    The singulator is pulling down and the chain line is straight as an arrow. If I decrease the tension to what "I think" is normal the sound goes away, but the skipping increases.When turning the crank by hand, I can feel the tension when the singulator is cranked enough to stop the skipping. It doesn't feel right and the chain has WAY more tension than my geared bikes.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    The singulator is pulling down and the chain line is straight as an arrow. If I decrease the tension to what "I think" is normal the sound goes away, but the skipping increases.When turning the crank by hand, I can feel the tension when the singulator is cranked enough to stop the skipping. It doesn't feel right and the chain has WAY more tension than my geared bikes.
    The usual suspect on chain skipping is insufficent chain wrap. First of all while it may feel like the chain is skipping on the front chain ring, it is more likely the rear cog. A singleator in the "push down" mode loses a tooth or two compared to a deraileur in chain wrap which causes the chain to ride up on the teeth of your rear cog and sometimes slip or skip under heavy pedaling. Switch over to the push up mode and the skipping should go away. Also make sure the chain is as short as possible.

1G1G, Brad

bob
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    The usual suspect on chain skipping is insufficent chain wrap. First of all while it may feel like the chain is skipping on the front chain ring, it is more likely the rear cog. A singleator in the "push down" mode loses a tooth or two compared to a deraileur in chain wrap which causes the chain to ride up on the teeth of your rear cog and sometimes slip or skip under heavy pedaling. Switch over to the push up mode and the skipping should go away. Also make sure the chain is as short as possible.

1G1G, Brad
    It's definitely skipping on the chainring, as I've watched it several times. I'll shorten the chain and see what happens. How short is short enough?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's possible that your chainring or one of the teeth on your chainring is bent a little bit. If you can't find anything wrong with any of the parts you're using, try the singleator in push up mode.
    --- FeelsGood