Chain sizing question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Chain sizing question

So I'm to the finishing touch on my single speed conversion...installing the chain. I'll be using a tensioner but have a question on chain sizing. I will be running a 32/17 to start...but am unsure if this will be the ratio I end up using (being new to SS, I've had to guess at a starting point). My question is...would the tensioner take up enough slack that I can leave a link or two extra in case I need to go to a bigger rear cog? Or do I basically have to shorten the chain to fit the best and hope I don't need to go bigger?

Any input would be great. Thanks a lot!

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by seemana
    So I'm to the finishing touch on my single speed conversion...installing the chain. I'll be using a tensioner but have a question on chain sizing. I will be running a 32/17 to start...but am unsure if this will be the ratio I end up using (being new to SS, I've had to guess at a starting point). My question is...would the tensioner take up enough slack that I can leave a link or two extra in case I need to go to a bigger rear cog? Or do I basically have to shorten the chain to fit the best and hope I don't need to go bigger?

Any input would be great. Thanks a lot!
    Tensioners are designed to work with the shortest chain possible. If that is a concern, start big and work you way down; a BMX cog (the flat steel version), is much cheaper than a chain .
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the reply! That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just have to make sure I work hard enough to push that 17. Thanks again!

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by seemana
    Thanks for the reply! That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just have to make sure I work hard enough to push that 17. Thanks again!
    I assume you already have a tensioner. Paul makes their Melvin, which can take up a bunch of chain, but it's almost a dérailleur and cost $75.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Members who have read this thread: 0