Chain recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chain recommendations

Looking for recommendation for the best single speed chain. And go.....,
    I ride a bike, therefore I am!

mtbr member
    I like to run KMC z610. Usually replace it every 6 months.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    KMC 9 or 10 speed.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    KMC 9 or 10 speed.
    This. I can always stop by my local shop and pick one of the two of those up, and if I happen to be out of town, I can stop at pretty much any shop that happens to be nearby and pick one up if I need it as well. Or if you're the type that plans ahead, they're a little cheaper on Amazon.

psycho cyclo addict
    Any 9-speed chain with a quick link is fine IMO.

I generally get ~1,000 miles out of KMC 8 and 9 speed chains on the SS's. Whipperman Connex last longer but they are quite a bit heavier.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Ahhh the pain....
    kmc 8.93 all day, every day. $10 from jenson.
    KMC X8.93 Chain | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    KMC 610HX, heavy but bombproof
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sram pc-850. Zero issues, like the quick link. I do replace is out of habit every few months but at less than $10 per chain its nothing.

Pos rep makes me sad
    I've tried YBN MASK chains (under $10) and get about 600 miles out of each before they fail 0.75 on chain checker. Not sure if that's to be expected of SS chains, as I've not tracked the mileage of previous chains. Thought it would be "bombproof" being a big and heavy chain. I get 2000 miles out of chains on my geared bikes; I shop $20-25 chains for my geared bikes.
    Tell me when I'm wrong. Neg rep me. I will appreciate it, even if you don't explain why I'm wrong.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8zen View Post
    I've tried YBN MASK chains (under $10) and get about 600 miles out of each before they fail 0.75 on chain checker. Not sure if that's to be expected of SS chains, as I've not tracked the mileage of previous chains. Thought it would be "bombproof" being a big and heavy chain. I get 2000 miles out of chains on my geared bikes; I shop $20-25 chains for my geared bikes.
    Is your chain checker measuring pin to pin or edge of roller to edge of roller?

Pos rep makes me sad
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Is your chain checker measuring pin to pin or edge of roller to edge of roller?
    Chain recommendations-71pwvvptwsl._sl1500_.jpg

Rollers. Noticed the new ones are 0.5 and 0.75 instead of 0.75 and 1.0.

Park tool description: "A worn chain shifts poorly and wears sprockets at an accelerated rate. The CC-3.2 is a go/no-go gauge designed to accurately indicate when a chain reaches .5% and .75%, the points at which most chain manufacturers suggest replacement. For 9 and 10-speed chains, replace chain just as the gauge fits the 0.75% side fits flat into the chain. For 11 and 12-speed chain, replace as the 0.5% side fits."
    Tell me when I'm wrong. Neg rep me. I will appreciate it, even if you don't explain why I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    KMC Z610-HX...all I ever use.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I just recently converted to SS from a 1x10 and Iím using the 10 speed SRAM chain that was on already. When it stretches to the point of needing replaced I will replace it with a standard eight speed SRAM chain like I used to run in the past.

mtbr member
    I was running an 8 speed shimano chain with a narrow wide chain ring up front and surly cog in the back. When i would hit chunk and pedal at the same time the chain would be thrown constantly off the surly cog. My chain line was perfect, my ebb on the sir 9 wasn't slipping and my chain tension was pretty tight. A buddy who rides ss over crazy tech stuff and is a beast told me to run a 10spd chain. He has only dropped a chain once in years so i figured i would give it a go. Threw on a 10 spd sram chain and all my chain drops ceased immediately. He explained that the 8spd has more lateral movement on the teeth and when the chain is whipping it can role off the teeth. 10spd since its narrower slides very little if at all.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gexas View Post
    I was running an 8 speed shimano chain with a narrow wide chain ring up front and surly cog in the back. When i would hit chunk and pedal at the same time the chain would be thrown constantly off the surly cog. My chain line was perfect, my ebb on the sir 9 wasn't slipping and my chain tension was pretty tight. A buddy who rides ss over crazy tech stuff and is a beast told me to run a 10spd chain. He has only dropped a chain once in years so i figured i would give it a go. Threw on a 10 spd sram chain and all my chain drops ceased immediately. He explained that the 8spd has more lateral movement on the teeth and when the chain is whipping it can role off the teeth. 10spd since its narrower slides very little if at all.
    Your right about the lateral movement. One thing to consider though (although I have had no issues breaking chains on my 1x10s) is that the general concensus is that as gear count goes up and chains get narrower, chains get weaker as the plates are thinner than the plates on 6,7,8 speed chains. I am not sure how relevant that is but I have read that. I used to run SRAM 8 speed chains when I single speeded 2 years ago. I doubt I put as many miles on as most of you guys but I never had an issue with it slipping off.

You brought up something interesting points and maybe I should just keep running 10 speed chains on SS..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8zen View Post
    You should get at least the 2000 miles youre used to with a good chain
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gexas View Post
    Bottom line, multi-speed chains are designed to change gears more easily. Comparing side plates on a 610hx compared to say a 10 spd chain reveals other differences besides thickness, never thrown a 610hx and even after almost 2 years no discernable stretch on either ROS9
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by raybum View Post
    kmc 8.93 all day, every day. $10 from jenson.
    kmc x8.93 chain | jenson usa
    yes!

mtbr member
    Do the 8.93 work with narrow/wide rings?

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by JeT442 View Post
    Do the 8.93 work with narrow/wide rings?
    The 8.93 chain works fine with a narrow/wide ring. Only chains with half links will not work with this type of chain ring.

Ahhh the pain....
    Several years ago, I had a bunch of chain drop issues. Checked chainline, adjusted tension, etc and found none of that helped. Mine would drop while laying down power in the bouncy stuff. I realized that as a chain wears, lateral play increases. Below are 3 chains, laid on their side and curved until resistance is met. The inner chain was the one giving me fits. Now, when a chain measures 22 inches in diameter, it gets replaced. And yep, those are all kmc 8.93 chains run on CK cogs and AB Oval Chainrings.

Chain recommendations-img_2634.jpg

mtbr member
    Been running these for four years now.

https://www.connexchain.com/en/product/connex-1r8.html

Yes they are huge, no they aren't light. But there is almost zero stretch to the two that I bought and run exclusively on all my SS bikes. I use wolf tooth rings and King cogs also.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    KMC 610 HX here too!

"Normal" chains scare the wotsit out of me now for how tiny they are

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Been running 10 spd chains exclusively with no issues. Still have the same one on my primary bike, complete with gear swaps, mixing used/new and all other things one should never do. Never dropped a chain (SS), I have plenty of spares. Building up a new SS once wheels come in, might even replace the chain now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've never had any issues with SRAM 850's or 870's. Always on N/W rings, mostly oval and Endless or King cogs. Cheap, last a long time, durable, work for me.
    @adamalphabet