Chain Ratios- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chain Ratios

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Chain Ratios

Just got a new SS (El Marichi SS Ltd.) and it came with 33 x 18. My old bike had 32 x 18 and I was wondering if adding a 20 to the rear would be the same as what I had. Lots of hills here in Tahoe and want to make it easier to climb, or just put in a 21.

PS. I love the bike

mtbr member
    Plug in your info here ... Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Assuming that your old bike had the same size wheel you're pretty close at the moment. 33/18 gives a ratio of 1.8333, 32/18 1.7778. So to get the same with your 33 ring you'd need something like a 18.5 tooth cog. Not sure that anyone is making that size anymore

In my experience there's more to it than just the ratio: the tyre and geometry come in to play as well. In your place I'd stick where you are at the moment until you get used to the bike unless you're finding it a lot harder or have moved to a hillier area
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Just got a new SS (El Marichi SS Ltd.) and it came with 33 x 18. My old bike had 32 x 18 and I was wondering if adding a 20 to the rear would be the same as what I had. Lots of hills here in Tahoe and want to make it easier to climb, or just put in a 21.

PS. I love the bike
    33x20 will be easier to pedal but will have a lower top speed than 32x18

If you had 32x18 before and want something easier, I'd go with either a 19 or 20 tooth cog. A 21 in the back would be a massive jump in ratio.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'd stick with what it came with... That's pretty darn close to your old gear and the change might suprise you for the better. Like I tell everyone - ride it, it's a bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post

PS. I love the bike
    Gear down, you live in the "mountains", not hills - some other posters in flat states don't always understand real mountains. Try a 21t.

mtbr member
    You might be able to get close - Rennen Design do some cool chainrings in points. So you can get a 32.x tooth chainring. Might allow you to tweak it to what you want, if you absolutely have to match your last ratio.

Otherwise, just ride it with a 20 or 21 and see whether it works for you.

surly inbred
    SS'ing it is usually about keeping things simple. Measuring tenths of anything seems rather focus-intensive (especially ****ing chainring teeth.) If you ain't feelin' what you got, add a tooth or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    SS'ing it is usually about keeping things simple. Measuring tenths of anything seems rather focus-intensive (especially ****ing chainring teeth.) If you ain't feelin' what you got, add a tooth or two.
    That is the truth. Just giving options. Some people like technicality.

mtbr member
    Fixed Gear Calculator - Ratio & Skid Patch for all! very practical ratio calculator.

Members who have read this thread: 0