Chain line trouble- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Chain line trouble

Took my first foray into singlespeed last night. It was fantastic!!! Unfortunately, I have built up the singlespeed from a hardtail with vertical dropouts using a surly singulator. Apparently the chainline was off a little and the chain kept dropping. Definitely hindered my forward progress.

Any advice on setting up the perfect chainline or determining/measuring correct spacing to achieve this for the rear. By the way, using a normal crank with middle chainring (32) and the rear is a busted cassette with 16T and spacers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joncmack
    Took my first foray into singlespeed last night. It was fantastic!!! Unfortunately, I have built up the singlespeed from a hardtail with vertical dropouts using a surly singulator. Apparently the chainline was off a little and the chain kept dropping. Definitely hindered my forward progress.

Any advice on setting up the perfect chainline or determining/measuring correct spacing to achieve this for the rear. By the way, using a normal crank with middle chainring (32) and the rear is a busted cassette with 16T and spacers.
    What kind of spacers are you using? Are you able to rearrange the spacers a bit to adjust your chainline?

Also, you may have better luck with a non-ramped cog in the rear. That might be the actual cause of your problem.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    the rear is a busted cassette with 16T and spacers.
    Humm, usual suspect. The rear cog from the cassette is meant to let the chain move up and down, that's why is ramped. That might be the issue.

The singulator will help you achieve a good chain tension but will not prevent the chain from dropping. Before you get injured or have a close encounter with either the top tube or stem make yourself a favor and get a cheap cog and give it another try.

Probably drunk right now

Two ways...

The easiest and most effective way to set up your chain line is to simply look down the top of the chain from the back of the bike and see which direction the chain needs to go. Then add/remove spacers to achieve the correct spacing.

If your chainline is off by about the width of the crank spider, put the ring on the opposite side. You can use spacers on the ring to accomplish this but it's far easier to adjust the spacers in back.

Ken