Chain line And Chain Ring Question (pictures)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chain line And Chain Ring Question (pictures)

Hey, I just converted my 2009 norco rival into single speed..In most of the guides it says remove the big chain ring, The small chain ring and to keep the middle one.. but mine only has 2 chain rings. the small one makes to to easy to pedal.I dont have enough spacers or the right sized spacers to use the big one..is there a chain ring thats bigger than the small one but will bolt on to the holes where the small chain ring should go? The way I have it set up now it rides alright.but the chain seems to jump every once in a while and i think thats cause iam a few milimeters off..Thanks
    Last edited by kylebooth; 01-12-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    My Ride - 2009 Norco Rival - Single speed

blame me for missed rides
    put the bolts back on even if you are not using an inside guard. your crank will self destruct.

mtbr member
    Thanks..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you're paranoid you can put those bolts back in. Some cranks, like the older Race Face ones, they were structural. It doesn't look that way with your cranks since they don't use spacers so most of the threaded section is past the arm.

If your chainline is off adjust it at the rear hub. That's why you have all those spacers on the freehub body. Move some from the outside to the inside. If you're pleased with your gearing you should buy a decent SS specific rear cog with a wide base.

Also, buy an SS specific chainring. The teeth are taller and there are no ramps or pins. They're not designed for the chain to come off of them like geared ones are.

mtbr member
    I think i will invest in a SS chainring. thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0