chain length ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: chain length ?

I ride with tools

chain length ?

Since this question got mired down in confusion on my previous post, I'll try again.

How much play in the chain is recommended? When I bought my Haro Mary, it was a shop demo bike with not many miles. The shop owner recommended 1/2" to 1" of play. Now that I've hammered on this thing for a couple of months, the play is closer to 1& 1/2 " maybe more. I haven't thrown the chain yet, but I don't want to wait til that happens.

I have the EBB rotated fully forward to take as much slack out of the chain as possible, but I think it's still too slack. But if I rotate the EBB fully rear-wards, there is not enough extra chain to remove a link and still be able to connect the chain. Any suggestions?

(yes, the chain has a power link, and yes, I know how it works)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thing yer bike is telling you it's time to replace yer chain

'Calm Down'
    Sounds like your chain might be shot if it's developed that much play. You can either measure it or find a shop with a Chain Wear Indicator tool.

How to measure: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html (Scoll to the bottom of the page.)

Example Chain Checker tool: Park CC-3 Chain Wear Indicator

jw
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

bike geek
    Same here. EBB rotated all the way forward, 2 week old chain which started out with about 1/2" up and down play now has more than 1" each way so I replaced it last night with a new one. At this rate I'll be replacing chains every 2-3 weeks....that can't be right. Thinking of using a half-link but I am not sure I trust them.

Gone Bamboo
    I am using a half link but I have to tell you guys, there is no way to avoid chain wear.

I just barely converted a couple of days ago and my chain is already getting a bit floppy, I want to see if I will be able to take a link out or not, even then if you have to replace the chain you (sometimes) have to replace the chainrings too because they are matched to the old worn chain.

We should have a lot stronger chains, ones that don't get manipulated by the stress.
    National Economic Security And Reformation Act

Members who have read this thread: 0