Chain Keeps Derailing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chain Keeps Derailing

My buddy just built up a SS Honzo and every time he was cranking hard up a steep climb the chain came off. He thinks it was coming off the cog. The chain was pretty tight, and his chainline is good. This never happened to my SS. Any ideas?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Describe his setup.
    Steel or alu Honzo? I have the first gen Honzo, the frame is built pretty burly.
    The slider is not slipping right? The bolts are big too, plus they have the adjusters.
    Cog and ring sizes?
    SS hub? Cog or freewheel? Brand? Wide base?
    Pictures?!? We like pictures.

mtbr member
    Is the cog an actual single speed cog or taken from a geared cassette? If it has ramps for changing gears...any tiny bit of chainline deviation or frame flex can cause the chain to "shift" just like a derailleur was pushing/pulling the chain over causing it to come off. Same with the chainring.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    He has a RF 32t NW ring and what looks like a stamped steel SS cog on a regular free hub, not sure the brand. We will check the slider bolts of his new steel Honzo.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Are all the parts new? (chainring/cog chain)
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Mine would do the same under the same circumstances, and as best I can tell it was from frame flex. My frame was titanium though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Are all the parts new? (chainring/cog chain)

Yup
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Downcountry AF
    i would replace the cog with one that has long teeth like Surly (also has a wide base). i think Endless have longer teeth too, and a couple others but i'm not familiar with all of them.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I use Surly, Chris King, and Singleworks cogs and all have worked great. Never a dropped or skipped chain.

I'd really like to try a Boone titanium cog sometime too. But they are pricey at around $100. And of course...I doubt you'd go wrong with an Absolute Black cog either.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Downcountry AF
    ^ FYI, i think the King cogs are one of the ones with shorter teeth IIRC. shouldn't make a difference on a well setup SS, but may not be the best for this application.

Surly, Niner, and Endless are the ones that come to mind with tall teeth I think. (i'm sure there are others) hopefully someone can chime in and correct me if that's wrong.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I don't know...I'd have to compare...but they are squared off and not pointed like some which I think helps retain the chain. But regardless...like I said...I've never lost a chain and I've only ever eyeballed my chainline...never measured so I'm sure they've never been spot on unless I'm just really lucky.

mtbr member
    His cog was flexing, causing the chain do derail. Different cog, no problem.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    His cog was flexing, causing the chain do derail. Different cog, no problem.
    What size cog was it?

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    What size cog was it?
    I'm curious too
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    It was a steel 19t cog with large cutouts. He swapped to a different 18t and the problem went away.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Post some pics. I dig the Honzo, and I'm thinking of building one up sometime.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Glad to hear the problem was fixed. The steel stamped stuff is good if you are searching for the right gear ratio, but once you find it, nothing beats a quality wide base cog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pharm View Post
    The steel stamped stuff is good if you are searching for the right gear ratio, but once you find it, nothing beats a uality wide base cog.
    unless you can use a shimano dx cog (18t only). cheap, strong, lasts FOREVER. i'd put it against any of the "quality" cogs in a wear test...

btw for the person who wanted a boone ti cog; i had one years ago, they are beautiful, but also therefore really sad when they wear down (rather quickly).

if you want a cog that lasts a while steel should be the only material you consider.

mtbr member
    What chain is he running? I had similar issues with the SRAM PC-1 chain (I believe thats right, it was the 1/8" chain). Apparently there are 2 versions of that chain, the gold one I have never had any issues with and the other version (standard black) wouldn't stay on for some reason. When I was running that chain, I dropped probably 6 times in one ride. Went home and swapped to the 3/32" SRAM chain and never had another chain drop in over a year until I sold it.