chain and gear Q- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

chain and gear Q

I'm just about done my el'cheapo SS bike and it turns out I can't change my front chain rings because they are press fit onto the crank and the budget doesn't allow for a new crank. (that would cost more then the bike) So i'm stuck with three gears up front. Not the cleanest look but i'm stuck with it. So is it worth getting a single speed chain still and will it work with chain rings that are designed for shifting?

Thanks in advance. This whole SS thing is what I needed to breath life back into a dying bike.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_monkey
    I'm just about done my el'cheapo SS bike and it turns out I can't change my front chain rings because they are press fit onto the crank and the budget doesn't allow for a new crank. (that would cost more then the bike) So i'm stuck with three gears up front. Not the cleanest look but i'm stuck with it. So is it worth getting a single speed chain still and will it work with chain rings that are designed for shifting?

Thanks in advance. This whole SS thing is what I needed to breath life back into a dying bike.
    Well the truth is you may be better to keep that olde drive-train chain as well...depending on wear.

I always like to keep as many of the drivetrain bits together as possible (replace one replace all three). That olde chain and ring have worn in/out together so (unless dangerously worn) keep them together, it will reduce the possibility of skipping if there is wear.

If you must replace the chain use something like the KMC Z610HX, its a 3/32" ss chain and should co-operate reasonably.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

local trails rider
    Generally, replacing the chain relatively frequently can extend the life of chainrings and rear cogs. If the chainring and/or cog are already worn, a new chain might not fit the teeth.

conjoinicorned
    i've picked up used cranks for less than $30 in good condition

look around, you'll find something
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

What's the Hurry?
    Hi,
    Try using the middle ring with the old chain, and if you're not gonna go back to the original geared config, file all the teeth of the outer ring and use it as a bash ring and a slightly cleaner look. The rear cassette prob can be split to allow the use of 16-20 tooth sprocket.You can prob get some extra spacers from your LBS or use plastic waste pipe to make 2 spacers. Good luck with the project
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks folks.
    Project is almost done. Just have to make the tensioner. I'm going to keep the chain and have replaced the back cog with a cheap kit. I couldn't get the gear I wanted off the free wheel. (only the first two came off, the rest is one piece). got some other parts with the money I saved not buying a new front chain ring. More of a story to fallow when I get time to write it, it will be its own thread..

Thanks again. Happy riding

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_monkey
    only the first two came off, the rest is one piece
    you can file the head of the pins that is holding them together, and presto, free cogs and spacers.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Members who have read this thread: 0