Chain and Fork: Help me dial-in my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Chain and Fork: Help me dial-in my bike

I had some problems with the stock chain and/or rear cog after just two rides on my new SJ 29r SS. Not sure what the problem is, but the shop was really good about making it right. The bike came with a SRAM 971 and they put on a PC-1. I am a clyde with a lot of leg strength and torque the carp out of my drivetrains. They also put on a new Surly rear cog. No charge on either.

Any recommendations for a good strong chain since I imagine I will be going through them quite regularly. What about rear cogs?

Also, for SS riders: do you tend to run your front forks firmer than normal recommendations. I am obviously standing a lot more on this bike and am thinking about this to defeat some of the pogo-sticking, I run Fox F29 RL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm not sure if you're going to get much stronger than a Surly cog. Unless you want a cast iron cog.

A lot of people have had luck with SRAM 8 speed chains, supposively slightly stronger than 9 speed chains and at a better price point. SRAM 1-speed chains have a pretty bad repuatation for strength.

Don't forget your front chainring. A nice wide and strong chainring can do wonders. But go for aluminum up front instead of steel, Gamut makes a nice front chainring.

I ride my fork very very plush. 30% sag. I use the my fork's lockout feature when necessary on climbs. But to each his own, I weight in at 140lbs, so take that last sentence with a grain of salt.

Retro Grouch
    As Renovatio said, the Surly cog is going to last a good time. As far as chains go, I have heard the nickel plated PC1 last much longer than black version. When you need another chain, I would check out the KMC Z610HX.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

WWYD?
    If you are going with the PC-1, get a few powerlinks. It will break, I'm 220 lbs. and have gone through several. The chain breaks with a plate popping off or deforming. You will need a powerlink or an extra link to repair it, especially on the trail. I now go with a D.I.D. track chain, hella strong.

mtbr member
    I like the suggestion from johnnyb for a track chain and i run that D.I.D on my track bike and torque the hell out of it with skids and a tall gear and it barely has stretched. Cogs... surly is hella strong but i would look at other cogs and their specifications to see what you can get. I would also look at a stainless cog maybe or even a ti cog.
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks guys. Great advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    If you are going with the PC-1, get a few powerlinks. It will break, I'm 220 lbs. and have gone through several. The chain breaks with a plate popping off or deforming. You will need a powerlink or an extra link to repair it, especially on the trail. I now go with a D.I.D. track chain, hella strong.
    Where did you find the D.I.D. chain? I am not seeing it at the usual online merchants?

Retro Grouch
    You can buy them here at <a href="http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=188_1486"> Milwaukee Bicycle Co </a>. D.I.D. is one of a handful Japanese track chains, including HKK and Izumi. They are of equal quality with the NJS certified being perhaps a cut above and certainly more expensive.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    NJS does not necessarily mean better, it just means that they went through NJS certification and it met certain specs. But yes any NJS chain is very good. I still would go for the D.I.D because of the strength and price compared everyone else.
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    for a chain my fave is the SRAM PC-7X.....love'em....love'em looong time....

still wish they were gold and black though....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +1 on the surly cog. Supertough and durable. I used the a sram 8 speed chain on my single and never had an issue. Also used a salsa chaingrin with the spot outer guard. All worked great.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcage
    Where did you find the D.I.D. chain? I am not seeing it at the usual online merchants?
    I got the D.I.D. chain at Pacific Bicycles in San Francisco. I'm sure all the fixie riders around here has something to do with it. The mechanic said they were the real deal and for $60 will last a long-long time. I'm happy with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0