chain drop- Mtbr.com

Thread: chain drop

mtbr member

chain drop

This starts my third year of riding/racing my SISS. Last night I dropped the chain for the first time ever. Running new WI 34t/ bmx chain/sheezmano 18t freewheel. I set it up just a teeny weeny bit looser than usual. I set it so the tight spots weren't quite tight. Still not much sag at the other end.

Anyhoo, it was a rocky up/down techno into/out of the power situation.

I suppose it was a combination of frame flex, high torque, and bumpity-bump that did it. Don't want to do it again.

How often do yall drop chain?
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

Fixed and single.
    Not very often here. Though when I first started SSing (aside from BMX) I was totally stoked over the experience and reliability when out on the trail one day I had a small twig, prob. only 1/8'' in dia. kick up in my freewheel and throw my chain I just stopped and had myself a little laugh.

mtbr member
    Different opinions on keeping it tight, http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=88696
    All the slack can end up right at the cog teeth, if you can pull the chain and derail it where the chain starts to ride onto the cogs, you will eventually drop the chain.

FIFI!
    i hadn't dropped it after about 2 months of riding, then one day at the local bmx track which i'm at about twice a week, it dropped twice in one lap, once RIGHT before take-off on one of the larger double sets. that totally sucked and i've kind of been intimidated to go back untill i get a better gear ratio going. it was allways perfect before but i just think that my chains finally fully stretched out so my "magical" gear ain't quite so magical anymore. and i loathe the noise and feel of my tensioner so i'm just gonna show patience untill my "lot" of rings shows up. was funny though because on trails it never came off, and the track wasn't necessarily bumpy either, it just decided to act up on me

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I start dropping the chain when the hub bearings are shot.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtZilla
    This starts my third year of riding/racing my SISS. Last night I dropped the chain for the first time ever. Running new WI 34t/ bmx chain/sheezmano 18t freewheel. I set it up just a teeny weeny bit looser than usual. I set it so the tight spots weren't quite tight. Still not much sag at the other end.

Anyhoo, it was a rocky up/down techno into/out of the power situation.

I suppose it was a combination of frame flex, high torque, and bumpity-bump that did it. Don't want to do it again.

How often do yall drop chain?

Not very often... had a case of chaindrop-itis awhile back, after putting on a new freewheel. It wasn't that frequent, maybe 1-2 times per ride... couldn't figure it out. Changed the freewheel again and it stopped happening.

mtbr member
    Man, don't say "hub bearings". It is the OEM Spot hub.

Well, iffin it happens again, I'll put the 17 cog on and check the hub.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields