Chain Catching Somewhere?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Chain Catching Somewhere?

Hey, i ride a 09 norco rival SS and i just switched the 18T cog that that had a perfect chainline to a 16T cog ( both same brand just different amounts of teeth), everything seems to be fine but when i pedal the bike the chain seems to catch somewhere after every rotation i cant seem to pinpoint the location or figure out why it is catching, If i put the bike upside down and spin the pedals backwards they stop right away because it seems its catching. Any ideas? Could the chain line not be perfect for some reason even tho i used the same amount of washers and the same brand of cog? Thank you.
    My Ride - 2009 Norco Rival - Single speed

openwound
    Curse the interwebs... when you say "catching", as in like you've got a stiff link? Like it's sticking to the chainring and not releasing when it should?

How's the chain tension? Too tight in one spot such that it's binding?

mtbr member
    Yes that's what it seems like " sticking to the chainring and not releasing when it should"

mtbr member
    how do yo fix that? Just replace the link?

openwound
    If it's a stiff link, get that link out where you can get your hands on either side of it. Grab the chain at the offending link and gently "bend" it laterally, back and forth, to loosen it up.

Replacing the link can be done but that often just leads to introducing more potential stiff links -- and madness... |

It might not hurt to clean it well and lube it, too. Not that you might not have already done that, but lube is good.

mtbr member
    Yes before i got your post i replaced the link and now its stiff in the same place. so i will just bend it back and forth untill its loose, lube her up and go for a ride! thanks alot for the help.

Members who have read this thread: 0