Chain Alignment Problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Chain Alignment Problem

I'm combining the small chainring (29T) off a double Chainset with a Gusset Double Six SS Sprocket (17T) for use on dedicated Single speed wheels (Easton One SS). The BB is a BSA 73mm and I've not used any spacers.

The problem is that the sprocket is a lot wider than a normal sprocket so as not to dig into the freehub BUT when trying to align it with the chainring, to get a straight chainline, the chainring seems to require that the sprocket is as far over to towards the spokes as possible.

As the sprocket is offset and can only go on to the freehub in one direction, I cannot get the chain aligned, as the sprocket is too far away from the spokes.

Have I done something wrong? Or, could I use spacers to move the chainring over? Or, should I just go for a normal thin sprocket that will allow me to place it as near to the spokes as possible?

mtbr member
    Pics might be helpful...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    That may take some time tbh.

I've eyeballed the chainline. Done the skewer test. And measured.

All point to the placing of the sprocket right next to the spokes...

It would seem that because the hub is an SS specific hub, the spokes are further over than they would be on a non-SS freehub.

And no, the sprocket cannot be flipped.

mtbr member
    Whats the problem with the cog sitting next to the spokes? If the chainline is straight and there's no interference between the chainstay, chainring, chain, or tire... then, pedal away. Anywhere on the freehub will work to mount the cog.

You say you're using a BSA BB with no spacers at 73mm. Is your frames BB 73mm? It almost sounds like its a 68mm and you didn't add spacers to it. Still, should work as long as there is space to mount the cog with a straight chainline.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can you move your front sprocket over to adjust for the chain line? I have my front sprocket mounted where my big ring would normally be and my rear cog is farthest away from the spokes on my SS hub.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The Shell is 73mm. The Cranks are the type that have a large bolt and splines on the non drive side.

The rear cog has a shoulder and cannot be reversed so that the cog goes next to the spokes, hence it is about 5mm out.

Even with a 2.5mm spacer on the front, the chainline is out. It might be runnable but I'd rather get it right.

I tried 5mm spacers on the drive side of the front and the chainline is fine but I've been advised that it might crush the bearings on the BB.

I cannot alter the placing of the chainring owing to the design of the crank arms. The small ring that I'm using will only fit on the inside of the spider and not the outside.

mtbr member
    What do you think of your wheelset? I have a set of those Easton One SS wheels, and I think they are complete garbage. Constant hub adjustments, and bearing issues Very poor design IMO.... Buddy has a set of Havic's and loves them, so to each his own i guess. As far as chain alignment goes....I use 3 spacers.....cog up against the hub will be too far in for almost any crankset. Hope that helps!!

Members who have read this thread: 0