mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cha,cha, cah, chains

Just purchased a new Kona Unit. It appears to have a KMC 610Z 1/2x3/32 chain on it. I want to put together another set up with cog and chain. I am running it single speed so without spending $60 on a chain what will fit and what is the recomendo? I will use a Scram Power link or a KMC Missing Link for the connections. Looking for a quick solution.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist View Post
    Just purchased a new Kona Unit. It appears to have a KMC 610Z 1/2x3/32 chain on it. I want to put together another set up with cog and chain. I am running it single speed so without spending $60 on a chain what will fit and what is the recomendo? I will use a Scram Power link or a KMC Missing Link for the connections. Looking for a quick solution.
    If you just want the option of running a different gear by swapping cogs, you can pick up a Surly cog for about $24 and unless your current chain is worn, no need to swap it. If a KMC Z610HX is indeed what you have, you would be hard pressed to get a better 3/32" SS chain. On top of that, I can find them online for about $12. However, stick with the master link that comes with the chain or if you want to order a spare...
    Amazon.com: KMC Z610H x -C/L Master Link Single 1/2 x 3/32 Silver: Sports & Outdoors
    These chains have really thick side plates and I am not sure if a Sram Power Link or KMC Missing Link will fit. This is not a big deal, because a standard master link works much better anyhow. Very easy to remove and replace even on a dirty chain. Removing something like a Power Link is at best, a tedious process and also requires plenty of slack, which on most SS's, means removing the wheel.