mtbr member

cereal with a fork

Is harder than I thought it would be. All this time I've taken spoons for granted.

Never again

wait what?

I'm taking my SS out for more 'test' riding this weekend. Going to Hood River tonight and riding tomorrow then over to the MRT for a Saturday Shuttle. I only have 150 miles on the new Simple and I hope to add more over the next few days.

I originally built the bike with ENO cranks but after some hard riding I come to find out that they're more gucci than tank. IE... do not jump them. The arms did fine, just the poor spindle couldn't take the heat. After that and the constant creak of the square taper, resulting in me taking an allen wrench everywhere, tightening down the crank arm bolt on intervals, I swapped em out for a set of SLX.

I think I can run these cranks without worrying I am about to destroy bicycle jewelry. Never thought I would get rid of perfectly good parts because they are too nice.

Where could this be?

mtbr member
    So what you doing with those cranks?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    ... Hood River tonight and riding tomorrow then over to the MRT for a Saturday Shuttle. ...

Where could this be?
    {pic #1}
    {pic #2}
    {pic #3}
    Looks like you've already been to MRT...

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Apr 2007
    I like my SLX and XT HTII cranks. I've thrashed them on 6" - 10" jumps (yeah, you read right--that's in inches, not centimeters) and they perform flawlessly.

BTW, pics of bike needed. You can't come into a thread talking tough about breaking spindles and forking stuff, then post up some lame-o elevator art pics.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    ... then post up some lame-o elevator art pics.
    With due respect, I don't know if you've ever ridden McKenzie River Trail, but those pix were all taken trailside. Suitable for elevator art yes, but lame-o, no.

Just sayin'.

Bike pix, too -- oh hell yes.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Apr 2007
    You forgot that grain of salt, brother. I was just messin. They're nice pics. Jealous of the nice scenery and clear water (ours is muddied up due to never-ending run off from still existing snow pack).

Oh, btw, he was wreppt for the post already.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    You forgot that grain of salt, brother. I was just messin. They're nice pics. Jealous of the nice scenery and clear water (ours is muddied up due to never-ending run off from still existing snow pack).

Oh, btw, he was wreppt for the post already.
    Sorry Bro, just defendin' me local turf. Lemme know whenever ya get here, I'll happily show ya 'round.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Ovaries on the Outside
    Boostin was supposed to be banging out some laps with me this weekend, then his womanhood got in his way.

How was the mrt?

-uMaRTh

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Boostin was supposed to be banging out some laps with me this weekend, then his womanhood got in his way.

How was the mrt?

-uMaRTh
    I'd ride with you this weekend if you asked me too. But you don't. So I ain't. I've got nothing but time on my hands this weekend. Might even bring out the 1x9 bike for sheer stupidity.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker View Post
    I'd ride with you this weekend if you asked me too. But you don't. So I ain't. I've got nothing but time on my hands this weekend. Might even bring out the 1x9 bike for sheer stupidity.
    Who the **** are you? I'm hoping to volunteer at the Super D on Sunday and do my own ride on Saturday. PM me if you are sorta interested and I'll give you ****ing boring details.

mtbr member
    I traded the WI cranks with a pair of Maxxis Holy Rollers for the SLX + a pair of Avid juicy 5's. Not a bad swap I think... I threw in a ti spindle since I hosed the WI steel spindle.

My buddy has a short vid of the jump I was hitting, cased it a little this time.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wb2LUuZ0VHQ?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wb2LUuZ0VHQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

For this last weekend-

We rode Post Canyon on Thursday evening, camping at eight-mile creek. We did a short ride Friday, riding five-mile trail from the campground. Drove through Bend to restock food and made it out to MRT to look for a place to sleep. We found some 'free' camping right off the MRT between trail bridge and the FS station.

I've ridden the MRT once before, about 5 years ago. Rode it SS that time too. Trail weather and conditions yesterday were excellent. We saw lots of hikers/bikers but not enough to spoil the ride. The trail is insanely fun and beautiful. I went OTB twice in the lava, somehow landing on my feet both times.

Shuttle
    Hitchhiking up from the Ranger Station was pretty fast, albeit a tad sketchy. The 85yr old WWII vet/military aviation artist had me concerned for a moment but I realized that it was Willie Nelson's twin brother. Clear Lake to the station and back in an hour. Thanks to the mtb folk who gave me a ride up to TrailBridge.

Nachos
    Ate nachos at Bend Brewing Co (7/10) The nachos at Taco Amigo in Sisters I'd give a 8/10. Only 5 bucks and I ran out of chips. Amigo also had tacos Al Pastor that made the grade. The Bend Brewing nacho was good, better than others, but had too many chips left over and was more than twice the cost of T.A.
    Last edited by boostin; 08-08-2011 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post

How was the mrt?

-uMaRTh
    damn near killed me too. My womanhood that is. Finished MRT at 5:30. Ate nachos at Taco Amigo in Sisters. Then we drove 126/207/19/... through Eastern Oregon... didn't get home till 3am. Those roads are like paved singletrack for cars! What a shitty drive after riding the MRT, carving mountain roads for hours, when every camp site looks like heaven but the wedding anniversary is hanging over your head.

mtbr member
    Went out and took a pic:

Still dialing it in...

needs talller/narrower bars
    185mm front rotor

Out spokin'
    Went out and took a pic:

{bike}

Still dialing it in...

needs talller/narrower bars
    185mm front rotor
    I like the mis-matched hubs and HBC ring. Magic ratio?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I like the mis-matched hubs and HBC ring. Magic ratio?

--sParty
    ebay did me a solid on those wheels. I didn't ask for the mis-matched hubs but beggars can't be choosers.

Magic ratio? I like my 4mm Allen key

mtbr member
    bump for shred vid of WI bending proportions

mtbr member
    bump for shred vid of WI bending proportions
    that looks fun as ****!