Cassette lock ring threading- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cassette lock ring threading

Reverse or normal?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

righty-tighty, lefty loosey

unless you live in the southern hemisphere.

db

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks. I'm trying to remove one that hasn't been removed in 20 years. It's a tad tight and I didn't want to be forcing it the wrong direction without confirmation first.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerjasen
    Ok, thanks. I'm trying to remove one that hasn't been removed in 20 years. It's a tad tight and I didn't want to be forcing it the wrong direction without confirmation first.
    if you NEED a chain whip you are doing it right. if you dont you are tightening it.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If it's a screw on casette, you'll need 2 chain whips - one for clockwise and one for anti-clockwise.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The first mtb cassette hub (Shimano XT) was introduced in 1987. It did not have a separate lock ring, the outer cog threaded on and doubled as the lock ring. You need two chain whips to remove the cassette.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Turns out it's an old suntour freewheel. I'm still learning my terminology, like the difference between a cassette and a freewheel. I searched the bike shops and managed to find someone with a Park Tool FR-2 in stock. A heck of a lot of grunt and it came free, no chain whip needed.

Now to go shopping for parts to get this old road bike over to a singlespeed.
    Last edited by gixxerjasen; 11-05-2006 at 08:33 PM. Reason: adding link

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Turns out it's an old suntour freewheel. I'm still learning my terminology, like the difference between a cassette and a freewheel. I searched the bike shops and managed to find someone with a Park Tool FR-2 in stock. A heck of a lot of grunt and it came free, no chain whip needed.

Now to go shopping for parts to get this old road bike over to a singlespeed.
    Yup, freewheels are a different animal. Multi-speed freewheel hubs/wheels are not usually a good candidates for SS conversions as the chainline with be too far to the inside. You can re-space the axle and re-dish the wheel sometimes but that is not likely on a 20 year old wheel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I went through the same thing - working on trying to convert an old GT hybrid bike into a round-town SS. Thought I had a cassette, and struggled mightily with chainwhip and tools, and ended up with just a little bashing to loosen everything up. It turned out to be a one-piece freewheel instead. This is why my SS project is a learning process!

After much mulling over of the bmx freewheel option, I saw right away that the chainline was going to be too much of an issue (as shiggy mentioned), so I ended up just buying a cheap rear wheel from Jenson. Now I can use a singlespeed cog and spacers and line everything up just right. Of course now I have to deal with a cog that wants a singlespeed chain and a chainring that wants a multispeed chain, but that's just part of the fun!

I haven't even had one ride on this yet but I'm getting very close.

mtbr member
    Yea, so much for turning my bike sitting in my garage into a cheapo quick SS. I'm off to scour for more parts now.

Members who have read this thread: 0