Cassette or Freewheel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Cassette or Freewheel?

I have decided that it is time to upgrade the freewheel hub that came with my 2003 Kona Unit. I was just wondering if i am best to go with a Cassette style hub such as the one from On-One or keep with a freewheel hub such as the White Industries ENO hub and get a ENO freewheel. Thanks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by positron
    I have decided that it is time to upgrade the freewheel hub that came with my 2003 Kona Unit. I was just wondering if i am best to go with a Cassette style hub such as the one from On-One or keep with a freewheel hub such as the White Industries ENO hub and get a ENO freewheel. Thanks.
    If you want to change gearing often go with the cassette. Other than that either works great. I love my ENO FW on the Paul WORD hub.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Disciple of Dirt
    Personally, I'll never own another freewheel again. They utilize antiquated technology and are a pain to remove unless you have a bench vice or a 15" crescent wrench (neither of which I plan to take on my rides with me). Cassettes are sooooo easy and quick to change. Way worth it in my opinion.

--Sparty

mtbr member
    agreed with Sparty. i despise freewheels.

The man who fell to earth
    Do yourself a favor and go with the cassette style. MUCH easier and faster to swap out different cogs, MUCH cheaper ($4 for a cog vs $18 for a reg freewheel and $90 for an ENO!), no gritty, sticky, gummy freewheel action (unless you pay $90 for an ENO), much more chainline adjustability, much more durable than unsealed freewheels (which usually last about one season), plus the cassette cog setup is lighter.

What's not to like?