carbon vs aluminum h-bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

carbon vs aluminum h-bars

Do carbon bars make sense fo a rigid fork SS? I've never ridden them on the trail. Are they too flexable on climbs? Do they flex at all? If they do then mabee they would soak up some of the bumps. Any toughts and or recomendations? Thanks

Arrrr.

I like mine

I really do. Easton Carbon riser on a rigid SISS. No problems so far. Not too flexy.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by CBass
    Do carbon bars make sense fo a rigid fork SS?
    I've always been more scared of carbon components than anything the trail can throw at me, but I got some MaxM MX6 risers about a month ago and have been really pleased. MaxM nailed it with the structure, too - they're comfy (MUCH more so than aluminum) and confidence inspiring. They're reasonably light, and I got mine for stinking cheap - less than half the price of Eastons, and I feel like I got a better product than Easton offers.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Steamroller

Carbon Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    I've always been more scared of carbon components than anything the trail can throw at me, but I got some MaxM MX6 risers about a month ago and have been really pleased. MaxM nailed it with the structure, too - they're comfy (MUCH more so than aluminum) and confidence inspiring. They're reasonably light, and I got mine for stinking cheap - less than half the price of Eastons, and I feel like I got a better product than Easton offers.
    SDizzle,
    I've been thinking about some carbon risers also and trying to decide which to get. How wide are yours and how much rise do they have? Where did you get them? And since I'm quizing you, do you think they are strong enough for Clydesdale SSers?
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    SDizzle,
    I've been thinking about some carbon risers also and trying to decide which to get. How wide are yours and how much rise do they have? Where did you get them??
    The MX-6 is 28" wide - plenty, in my kind of skinny opinion, and equal to the Easton Monkey DH and my last PlanetX trials bars. The rise, I think, is 1.5", but it might be 2". The best thing is they've got a Hellbent-esque 9 degree bend. Whatever the case, it's surprisingly mellow, and doesn't feel too high even with a 5" fork. The do sell lesser rises, but they come in a lesser width and bend (and strength-***-suggested-use, I think).

I got them from a friend who's connected to QBP, but retail is $80 and change. Larry/Ventanarama/Mtn High Cyclery can probably give you a stunning price, and as close to wholesale as you'll find anyplace.

And since I'm quizing you, do you think they are strong enough for Clydesdale SSers?
    I weigh 155, but tend to beat on stuff. Mine are now scratched and scuffed as a result of a pretty hard crash I had two weeks ago, but they've held up fine, even with regular rigid-fork thrashings. I went OTB and hit a tree kind of simultaneously, and the bars didn't appear to lose any integrity, which is comforting, to say the least.

MaxM's layup is very different than others'; there's a layer of kevlar fibers seperate fromt he carbon fiber, and the whole deal is bonded together and coated with a very durable finish, rather than raw epoxy. Their website is really interesting, and, again, confidence inspiring.

On a slight aside, I'd recommend a good four-bolt faceplate stem, like a Thompson, though I ride a Titec.

-The Good Doctor

Steamroller

You passed the quiz

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check out the website and start shopping around, they sound like they may be the just the ticket.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm been running a set of Profile Solar carbon RS bars on a Bianchi BUSS w/ a Spicer Ti rigid fork for several months and riding the crap out of it. It's a great setup in my opinion for a couple of reasons. First the bars are light and stiff, second they're really wide (26") giving schweet leverage to really grind those steeps. Also, the carbon helps dampen alot of vibration. I find I can hang with my geary buddies on descents and they're on FS bikes. Took 2nd in a NORBA regional series race in SS class last weekend with it. Guess what the 1st place guy (3 seconds ahead!) was riding.....full rigid Sycip w/ Pace carbon fork and you guessed it....carbon bar. I think it's the way to go. Have fun.

mtbr member

the bar

I've seen a handful of carbon bars snap and I just didn't have the confidence to keep mine. I just replaced my eastons with some aluminum race face bars.

mtbr member
    I have a set on a rigid and they make a big difference. The eastons are carbon wrapped aluminum, so a full carbon bar should have more give. I am riding the LP downhill bar. I was willing to carry and extra 40gr for the peace of mind that if it is strong evough for DH use, I'll never break it. It still soaks up vibration and shock.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Man, you should have a bomb proof setup with that LP bar. Another shock reducing and bike lightening setup is running Hutchinson Python Airlites tubeless with Stan's or I have a recipe for homebrew sealant that is foolproof and that's all I run now. Way cheaper too.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Gentlemen, gentlemen....
    I hope to asuage your fears/worries about carbon.
    Upon the purchase of my first "real" bike, my SC Bullit, I purchased some new bars..unknowingly got the E_aston monkey lites XC version...I rode them hard, put them away wet for 1.5 years. Now my wife is running them on her Superlight.
    Then, I upgraded to th E_aston DH version which are BEEFY. Once I started SSing and had to use less/no travel, I quickly swapped the carbon bars over to the SS because it's vibration dampening characteristics are AWESOME.
    Riding the Vulture rigid, I can't imagine NOT using carbon.
    6'6 240lbs of love, and never had a problem with carbon.
    Go in peace w/ carbon.

SDizzle,
    I've been thinking about some carbon risers also and trying to decide which to get. How wide are yours and how much rise do they have? Where did you get them? And since I'm quizing you, do you think they are strong enough for Clydesdale SSers?

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERFLY TNT
    Another shock reducing and bike lightening setup is running Hutchinson Python Airlites tubeless with Stan's or I have a recipe for homebrew sealant that is foolproof and that's all I run now.
    Ha! As far as vibration damping tires go, I'd recommend a 2.7" Maxxis Mobster...1500 gm of pure squish.

I really agree with the vibration damping characteristics of carbon bars. I've had achey fingers for the longest time, even with a 5" travel fork, and the carbon bars solved it. I'm now running skinny, hard Intense ODI grips, if that's any indication - a big switch from regular Ourys glued over six layers of hockey tape!

-The Good Doctor