Carbon SS Frames- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Carbon SS Frames

Ok, so I am aware of the Ibis that is out right now but are there other carbon ss frames out there? I know I could use a tensioner but really want a cleaner look. Are there any out there that have an EBB? Can you use an XTR 960 crank with an EBB?

Not that I am in the market for a new frame right now but just trying to get an idea of what is out there.

SSOD
    I know gary fisher has a superfly model that's ss with track ends, pretty nice but it's a 29er.

Low Rep Count
    Thanks but I want a 26. Sorry should have mentioned that. I have found quite a few carbon frames out there mind you but of course they are all standard mtb's so I would need to run a tensioner. Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few nice tensioners out there but I like track ends and the clean look of it all. Basically, I am looking to build the weight weenie bike in the end but still want something reliable so Ti is really still leading the way and a Lynsky is at the top of th list. It may not be as light as possible but it will last for ever!

SSOD
    I agree, never heard anyone complaining about going with a ti frame. Lynsky are really nice, like their new helix downtube. Was fortunate enough to get a tour of their plant last year with StuMonkey and couple others and was really impressed with them. Really cool to see how they build their bikes. If I could afford one would go with them for a build definitely. But for now I love my Bianchi because she's yet to give me any problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Personally, I think the two best tensioning systems, in order, are:
    1. Forward Components Eccentric Bottom Bracket
    2. White Industries Eno Eccentric hub

I find using either of those is less hassle than anything else, be it track ends or EBB frame. They're both easy to adjust, don't make noise, and don't slip. You can also make a clean looking singlespeed out of any frame using one of those. Since you already have a White Eno hub, I'd recommend just buying the eccentric ends for it, converting it, and then using that with whatever carbon frame you want.

Low Rep Count
    That my friend makes the most sense. I completely forgot about being able to buy the eccentric ends for my hubs. Man, I love you! and WI for that matter! Looks like I might have a winter project now!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    By the way, the Sette carbon frames have proven to be durable, and are an excellent value.

Low Rep Count
    Yep, I was looking at them a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    A fully rigid crabon SS bike scares me for some reason. If anyone knows of some photos I'd like to see them (vertical or horizontal drop frames).

If I ever left Team Steel I would probably go Ti if the price is right. The Lynskey Ridgeline is nice, I'd like to see it decked out in 650b over 29er. Maybe Mickey at Spooky Bikes will come up with something...

Low Rep Count
    I just went back to have a look at them and only found the Impulse which was only available in a small. I'm not really in the market right now anyway but either the Phantom or Impulse would work for me. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on an old Home Grown in flat black either.

Low Rep Count
    I agree, a fully rigid set up concerns me but carbon is pretty strong stuff. The Lynskey is still right at the top of my list though. Then again, knowing that I can convert my rear hub to eccentric and pick up the eccentric disc brake mount for right at $100 I can pretty much get any frame. So when the time is right, I will start searching. I could easily end up with a used Litespeed, Moots, Dean... at that point. I will just be looking for something that doesn't have V brake mounts on it or at least one that has removable mounts (similar to what Sette has).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Wouldn't mind getting my hands on an old Home Grown in flat black either.
    If you go Homegrown, you have to go Bass Boat.

Low Rep Count
    Can't man, I remember when my friend I worked at a shop (Bikes USA-back in the day) got his. It was flat black and stupid light! I also saw a gold one once which was pretty cool but not for me. I am thinking that a fully rigid home grown would be a bit, well, rigid for me.

Apr 2007
    Ibis Tranny? Unconventional tensioning system, though. Not sure if I would trust it.

Also, I thought about going CF for my ultimate SS project. However, with the abuse the bike will see, I think I am now considering Ti. I've been checking out bikes that are 10+ years old and most all look like they're still new. (not from lack of riding).

And if you're considering Ti and custom, I've heard Scott Quiring bikes are awesome (quality and price). My neighbor also has a Seven and it's a sweet bike. For tensioning, I like track end/paragon sliders rather than EBB or ENO. I've currently got track ends on a mountain bike and road bike--both have been flawless.

Low Rep Count
    I have track ends now for the most part. But the fact that I already have a set of wheels built with White hubs allows me to look at just about anything at this point and only have to convert my rear axle/brake mount if I want to go for something w/out horizontal drop outs.

I have been looking at some older ti frames recently and most of the ones I find all have V brake mounts on them. Something I would prefer not to have (just added weight if you aren't using them imo). I'm not stressed about any of this right now. Got pleanty of time and the GT is holding together so far. I just wish it was a little lighter. But changing out the tires on it should help out a little bit with that.

Apr 2007
    Just for clarification, I wasn't saying you should get an old Ti frame---just saying Ti holds up better. I'll be getting new when/if I get Ti.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    FYI, White Industries told me they've had some issues with the Eno Eccentric hub slipping on Ti frames. It seems it just can grip the material well enough. It's something to consider.

Apr 2007
    I've heard the same about paragon sliders. I wonder if any of the custom builders would be able to make (replaceable) cromo inserts for track ends (a la track bikes).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    New On One Whippet when it eventually gets released?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had the brake mounts remove off my ti frame(ibis) you can't tell that they were ever there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Funny, I have had two different (non-disc) Eno hubs on my Ti frame for 5-6 years without ever having a problem with slipping.

mtbr member
    not sure if it's been answered or not yet but I'm currently using a ss modded m960 crankset on my gf rig, which has and eccentric bottom bracket, so yes, it does work.

Low Rep Count
    Badmechanic is running eccentric bb with his modded 960 as well so I am sure it works. Honestly, it seems like the better way to go simply because I wouldn't have to worry about chain tension every time I took the rear wheel off the bike. The trick will be just finding one that fits what ever frame I end up with. The one badmechanic just installed on his homegrown looks like a very nice option! But after my ride last night on my steel GT in its completed set up (frickn finally can say that I am done, unless something breaks) was quite awesome! Not a single mechanical on the ride (first time in a while that I did not have to address something!) and the bike just had a very nice ride quality so I guess a custom steel is still on the list when the time comes as well.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    my buddy rides a tranny, and the tensioning system has been pretty flawless for him. he's a beast too... rode it at downyville this year and got 4th. I have never seen him mess with it whatsoever.

As for carbon, i stopped by the Serotta composites shop and THE carbon guru Mike Lopez gave me a tour. I got to see how they designed, tested, and built their bikes. I gotta say, i was always a fan of carbon, but after talking with him and seeing it done first hand, i'm looking forward to getting another carbon frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0