Carbon Rigid or Suspension Fork- Mtbr.com
    Are you talkin to me?

Carbon Rigid or Suspension Fork

I want to upgrade to a better fork.I have a steel fork now. I'm thinking about a suspension fork or a carbon fork. Haro Mary SS 29er.
    I need help deciding.
    A weekend WASTED is not always a wasted weekend.

mtbr member
    Pace CF wrapped Ti rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Ride More
    I want to upgrade to a better fork.I have a steel fork now. I'm thinking about a suspension fork or a carbon fork. Haro Mary SS 29er.
    I need help deciding.
    Do you want a lighter version of the fork you have, or do you want to make the switch to suspension?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    ? As PB Breath said, you need to decide if you want to ride rigid or if you want to ride with a suspension fork first. I bet several riders will have suggestions once you narrow it down. Good luck deciding

853+29+1x24=Fun
    yeah, carbon rigid does not equal suspension if that was your intent. Sorry if I read it wrong.

~~~~~~~
    i think rigid is really fun and great for building skills and control, but I love my suspension fork after riding rigid for a couple years. i'm faster and i don't get tired as quickly. plus, it keeps my hands from getting so worked. on a single speed you're already using more of your upper body and hands than you typically would. be nice to yourself and see how much faster it makes you. plus, this way you'll have both. you can always put your rigid fork back on when you feel the urge.

Out spokin'
    Yeah, what Dirt said.

I run both -- rigid in winter when mud is softer and speeds are slower, suspension in summer when the snow goes away and I can access those 15 mile downhills that glaze my rotors.

I've got a carbon rigid fork and can tell you this... no way am I gonna abuse myself with that thing throughout the speedy summer. Nor do I want to expose my monkey motion fork to the gritty slop of winter.

I say get both.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    rigid in winter when mud is softer and speeds are slower, suspension in summer when the snow goes away and I can access those 15 mile downhills that glaze my rotors.
    Yup, that was my conclusion once the spring temps dried up the ground, man or man is carbon rigid on hardpack!

I have a Reba now, a bit heavier up front, but I get to choose now whether I run rigid with a little flex (lockout mode) or full travel when bumping up or down some rocky/rooty stuff.

Something that never seems to get mentioned, but a rigid fork can make some climbs more difficult, simply because the front end does not absorb any vertical displacement. What this means for an SS is that you can lose a lot speed bumping into stuff during your climb, making you less efficient than if you were running a suspension fork.

Now that I have the Reba I play around with my rides, sometimes I lock it, other times I don't. I have been able to make some tough climbs unlocked that I cannot make locked, so go figure!

Get the Reba or Fox, your arms and legs will thank you
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    I ride a White Bro's Rock Solid (not as flexy as the pace/DT Swiss) and love it. If you have a lot of small drops/rock gardens and such, you're arms will get worn out faster from acting as "shock asorbers", but in turn it makes you stronger. I am thinking of putting my Fox fork on to see how I like it for occasional longer epic rides, but I will never get rid of the rigid.

So GET BOTH!

huntr
    Apr 2008

Carbon fork - eXotic Rigid Carbon

Hi, new here but this seemed the most appropriate place to field this question.

Have been looking at a eXotic carbon fork for my redline mono -
    Has anyone ridden one of these or seen a comprehensive review? On price point and weight they seem very reasonable but the brand seems relatively obscure and is hard to find info on. Can always fall back on a Pace carbon but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0