Carbon Handlebars and Seatpost for SS??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Carbon Handlebars and Seatpost for SS??

I am building up a second rigid SS and all I am missing a set of handlebars and seatpost. So it is a good time to upgrade and wondering about carbon. Is there is an advantage to using carbon handlebars for a rigid bike other than for dropping weight. How does the carbon bar feel on the hands and arms?

Also any advantage using carbon seatpost other than weight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyll2003 View Post
    I am building up a second rigid SS and all I am missing a set of handlebars and seatpost. So it is a good time to upgrade and wondering about carbon. Is there is an advantage to using carbon handlebars for a rigid bike other than for dropping weight. How does the carbon bar feel on the hands and arms?

Also any advantage using carbon seatpost other than weight?
    When I switched to a carbon bar from a steel one about 10 years ago, I've never looked back. Carbon offers a noticeable amount of comfort over steel and aluminum...I vote yes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have ergon grips. Any issues with using them with carbon bars?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyll2003 View Post
    I have ergon grips. Any issues with using them with carbon bars?
    I have two Specialized single speeds one with Easton carbon bars, one with Specialized S-Works carbon bars and both have Ergon grips and barends on them and I've never had a problem.

Teen Wolf
    carbon is purrdy

people love to love it and love to hate it.

i happen to love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Riding a ti ss frame with Syntace carbon post, WTB carbon rail saddle, Niner carbon fork and Syntace carbon bars. Used to have back and wrist pain all the time. Now zero issues and I put 4k+ miles on trails over the past two years. Carbon bars make a big difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have carbon bars on all my MTB because it damps vibration and harshness therefore more comfortable. They're great on the hands. I gave up on carbon seatpost and went back to Thomson post. I could not get the seat to stay in place even with treadlock on my Truvativ and Easton carbon seatposts. If you want light and strong, consider their masterpiece. I didn't notice any vibration dampning on the seatpost like the handlebars.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going with the Niner RDO seat post on my winter build. Supposed to be designed to deflect more than traditional post. Well see....
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    I have the Niner Carbon Bars with Ergon GR-2's and the Niner Carbon fork. It's a nice combo and I won't be going back to AL anytime soon. The only precautions I take are to use carbogrip on the stem and bar facings and to ensure the stem and grips are torqued to the proper spec. as per the manufacturer. For seatposts I always stay with the tried and true Thomson.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Carbon is wicked strong. I drilled my cf handlebars and seatposts so I could mount extra water bottle cages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Carbon is wicked strong. I drilled my cf handlebars and seatposts so I could mount extra water bottle cages.

yawn.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've recently switched to the extra-wide Specialized carbon bars. They are 680mm wide! Provides a lot more leverage going up steep inclines.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member

I weigh 250 lbs...

and have been riding RF Next carbon posts and Salsa Pro Moto carbon bars for about 5 years now. I even have a carbon stem on my Voodoo Soukri. in my experience, the difference in ride comfort between carbon and alu is significant. I have a Moots layback ti post on my Ted Wojcik 29er that is even smoother than the carbon posts. I have owned Thomson, Syncros, Salsa, Ritchey, and others. None come close to carbon or ti.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    carbon fork, bars and seatpost on an alum frame here. Love it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Easton Monkeylite XC 685mm Carbon bars with Ergon grips here. Make sure you use the Ergon bar-plugs if you go this way (to sure up the bar ends for more strength where the barends clamp. Also use an ACCURATE torque wrench to attach anything to carbon, else one expensive cranking sound!

yes yes I know - I've since shortened the hoses!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A must in my book

12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

Got a suspension fork
    I've got both carbon bar and seatpost on my rigid onegear. The bar is an Easton Haven 711mm wide, and the seatpost a Titec setback. I don't actively notice give from either to be honest, but I think you'd have to A-B them to metal counterparts back to back for a fair comparison.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member

Carbon parts

I guess its personal choice, but I know that it definitely takes some chatter and sting out on the ones I have carbon stuff v.s. my aluminum stuff. It can be a little pricey but for me, I remember quality longer than I remember price, nonetheless it does cost.
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ya I am looking to upgrade to carbon bars , the niner flat top carbon bar with the 9% sweep
    looks about right for my preference , but will be trimming them down to around 660mm
    what is the best way to trim carbon bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonecrow View Post
    what is the best way to trim carbon bars.
    The manuals say 32tpi hacksaw with a miter box or cutting guide to get her to 90 degrees perfectly. Wet the blade to reduce dust. Take care not to breath, wear a respirator if you have it.

Personally, I just drop them into my compound miter saw with a 80 tooth finish cut blade and go slow with the dust collector on. Cleanest cut on the planet. Waaaayy better than I could do with a hacksaw. Its probably pretty tough on the blade but I don't cut much carbon anyway.
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I started the thread and decided to go with Race Face Next carbon bars. Will report back on if I see a difference. If nothing else they are ight and look sharp.

RIDE TO LIVE
    I ran a race face next carbon bar for 2 years. Also Salsa Promoto carbon before that. Switched to Enve (formerly Edge Composites). No comparison, the Enve bars are much better. Wider, lighter, stronger and they damp better. Best bars on the planet IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FewDaysOnTrail View Post
    The manuals say 32tpi hacksaw with a miter box or cutting guide to get her to 90 degrees perfectly. Wet the blade to reduce dust. Take care not to breath, wear a respirator if you have it.

Personally, I just drop them into my compound miter saw with a 80 tooth finish cut blade and go slow with the dust collector on. Cleanest cut on the planet. Waaaayy better than I could do with a hacksaw. Its probably pretty tough on the blade but I don't cut much carbon anyway.
    When I've cut Carbon bars, I would also wrap layer of masking tape (once) around the bar at the point of the cut.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just looked at the Enve site, their 9% sweep bar looks very nice also ready to
    go cut marks and same price as the niner .

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

I miss carbon bars,

But I have seen 3 broken carbon seatposts this summer on the trail. All 3 people were bummed since they had to deal with 3hr or longer rides with broken post. One lady was on a 12 hr endurance and was going back to car as she had an aluminum post to swap.