Carbon handlebars ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Carbon handlebars ??

Instead of buying a different bike this year I am just spending a bunch of money (to me) on the old one. Got a new Reba rlt and am having a set of wheels built this week.

Thought a carbon bar would be a nice addition and maybe dampen some of the washboard I sometimes ride. Going to stay pretty close to the bend I ride now, but go a little wider. So 9 / 5 and somewhere between 685 and 710 mm.

Of course I'm looking at Easton, Syncros, Answer, etc. all about the same price and weight.

I am 220 lbs this fall, but don't ride too aggressive. Should I stay away from the sub 200 gram bars or will they be OK? Can I use my lock on grips or do I need to get something else.

Any obversations or experiences welcome here on brands you've run. Thanks much.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I have run a few carbon and aluminum offerings. I have never been able to feel "vibration dampening" with carbon handlebars.

I notice width and sweep. And I obviously note weight when purchasing the bar.

But on the bike, I cant tell the difference between a carbon or al bar, or a light vs a heavy bar.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    And I will add, I love my niner carbon bars. I have 2 pairs on both my MTBs. I like thm because they have beefed up ends so you can run lock ons or bar ends.

And they are light and wide...

I cut both of mine down to 680mms
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    With a suspension fork, you aren't going to feel much of a damping affect from carbon bars. Rigid you might, depending on how flexible your fork is and how much volume your front tire has. If it were me, I'd spend the money elsewhere.

mtbr member
    I bought myself an Enve bar. One of my best buys. Light, stiff and I can feel the vibration dampening. Of course I run my fork rather stiff not super plush.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I picked up an Answer Protaper 720AM carbon bar recently (6 weeks maybe - it was on sale) primarily to get a better fit on my bike since I was getting major carpal tunnel issues. The bar had the most rise to get more weight off my arms, and also absorbed some of the vibration and it has helped the numbness in my fingers. All this was coupled with a short high rise stem and ergon grips.

I checked with Answer tech support and they claimed that no special treatment was needed for lock-on style grips and bar ends. I found this out to be somewhat true when I crashed a little over a week ago while going down some mountain trails. The cheapo bar end did rip off causing about 10mm of the carbon bar to crack and fray a little. Beyond that, the bar was structurally sound (I got an ultrasound tester at my engineering shop).

I cut off the cracked end and the other end for balance and the bar is now down to 695mm... replaced the grips/barend with an Ergon GC3/GP5 grip/barend set.

Although the bar held up, I'm going to reinforce the ends with more carbon fiber. Got some unidirectional scrims in the shop and use that to add more carbon to the inside of the tube. I'll post a DIY howto when I get it done.

Anyway I hope my experience with my bar helps you make an informed decision.

-S

P.S. I'm 5'5" and 190 lbs.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS will allow you to really crank down on the bar hard.

SS Pusher Man
    Carbon bars are nice.....have a set of Crank Bros. Cobalt 11 780mm 15mm rise bars on my SS.....replaced a 725mm Azonic B-52 Scandium bars......noticed the flex right away.

Have a set of Crank Bros. Sage 780mm bars on my Tallboy, and they don't flex at all.....in fact, they are super stiff compared to the Cobalts.....so they do help with smoothing out the trail a bit.....IME.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS will allow you to really crank down on the bar hard.
    Haven't been able to find those things for sale. Anyone else able to find it?

BTW the ProTaper 720AM has a 16.5mm internal diameter at the ends where the material is thicker. The Ergon LS100 is too big - won't fit and neither does the aluminum one from Specialized.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-13-2012 at 04:18 PM.

miwuksurfer
    Love my carbon Ragley Carnegies. I ride a rigid 29er singlespeed and I think my favorite feature is the hand angle while descending and width of the bar while cranking uphill

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had, and was in love with my carbon rigid fork, but wrenched the mag caps off of it in a crash. I was looking hard for a "no rider weight limit" replacement that was not a Niner fork. Everyone seems to love them, but I just couldn't go to get on my bike and have to look at it. Just me.

Got a good deal on the Reba and snapped it up cause it locks out. I wanted to ride and the crummy suntour was giving me a complex. Plan on getting me either another bike set up rigid ss like the Carve or building one, so having an extra handlebar around will be a good thing.

The bars I have are just stock Spec. and boring. A stripe or some lettering might make me happy. ODI has some cool colors in their alloy bars, but think I will give carbon a try.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynn Sluder View Post
    I had, and was in love with my carbon rigid fork, but wrenched the mag caps off of it in a crash. I was looking hard for a "no rider weight limit" replacement that was not a Niner fork. Everyone seems to love them, but I just couldn't go to get on my bike and have to look at it. Just me.

Got a good deal on the Reba and snapped it up cause it locks out. I wanted to ride and the crummy suntour was giving me a complex. Plan on getting me either another bike set up rigid ss like the Carve or building one, so having an extra handlebar around will be a good thing.

The bars I have are just stock Spec. and boring. A stripe or some lettering might make me happy. ODI has some cool colors in their alloy bars, but think I will give carbon a try.
    May I ask what you have been up to on your bike?

-S

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I don't wreck hardly ever this year (my second) but that first year was something! It wasn't even that bad a trail I trashed the rigid on, lots of big roots across the trail and I was going too fast. I think, looking back on it, that I grabbed the front brake in a hard bounce and I bulldogged the bars instead of going over them. Twisted it very hard, bent the axle and rotor when the caps gave. I was over the 210 lb. weight limit on the Pace fork as well.

The Reba will be a nice change for awhile, but am looking at that Specialized Chisel and Whiskey rigid as possible new forks in the future. I like that light front end.
    Last edited by Glynn Sluder; 11-14-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0