Are Carbon Bars worth dealing with?- Mtbr.com
    Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Are Carbon Bars worth dealing with?

I want to put some nice low rise bars about 700mm on my new steelframed 29er single speed Alu has served me well so far but are Carbon worth another 100 bucks to save 100 grams?
    Steel Freak
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Not really. IMO, only if you can get them cheap.

I got this one from Performance Bike for 65 dollars because it was on year end clearance. Did feel a difference? nope. Looks cool though, that's about it, lol. Also because its CF, now I can't put bar ends on it and have to be super cautions about over tightening my handlebar components. So yah, had I paid full price for it, I'd say a definite no, but if you can find a deal on it, then I'd lean towards maybe to yes.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I love my carbon bars on my rigid. I'm putting them on my new fat bike too for the insulation properties. .

Superflying on Haven
    Carbon bars are not worth another 100 bucks to save 100 grams (especially because it is static weight) but they are worth to spend that money for an enhanced ride quality compared to aluminium bars... I liked my carbon bars so much that I'm considering spending thousands bucks to get carbon wheels. But that may not be important since you are a steel freak ?

Harmonius Wrench
    Not all carbon is created equal, so it is hard to say what is "worth it" to you. I have ridden carbon bars so stiff I didn't like them and others that were pretty forgiving and most somewhere in between.

The main thing for me is how the bar fits in terms of width, sweep, and height. As long as it isn't some cheap, heavy, unforgiving aluminum bar, it usually works fine for me if it meets the other criteria I have.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Not all carbon is created equal, so it is hard to say what is "worth it" to you. I have ridden carbon bars so stiff I didn't like them and others that were pretty forgiving and most somewhere in between.

The main thing for me is how the bar fits in terms of width, sweep, and height. As long as it isn't some cheap, heavy, unforgiving aluminum bar, it usually works fine for me if it meets the other criteria I have.
    So true. My experience as well which no doubt is less than yours Ted.
    Some advice please. Since I have struck out twice trying two different Easton riser carbon bars which I found too stiff...can you suggest a carbon bar with some flex or compliancy Ted in your experience? I went back to my Salsa alloy bar because it is much more compliant than either carbon bar I tried on my 29er. That said, the FSA Kwing carbon bar on my road bike is much more compliant than other alloy drop bars I have used.
    Thanks for any advice.

The need for singlespeed
    The Syntace Al bar that came stock on my bike made my hands numb, so I got an Easton EC70 riser which totally solved that problem. Back then I ran pretty high pressures (both tire and fork) though. I'm currently updating my setup and wondering if I should shell out for carbon again even though I'll be running tubeless and a plush Fox fork...probably not. The EA70s are looking pretty good at $55.

Having similar thoughts about seatposts.

Rip 9
    Mar 2007

I like em,

I upgraded to these from Bike Bling on my Rip.

Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 XC Handlebars from BikeBling.com

Big discount plus MTBR gets you another 10% off. It's a bit lower rise than other bars which I like on a 29er, and they also have a flat version. Comfy to ride with and much lighter than the cheap Stylo T20 bars that came on the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, compliance, you guys keep giving your experience on this. I am also looking at carbon bars, more for help with the trail chatter than weight (but do want a bar that will be durable). I also run around 35 lbs of air in the rear and 30 in front, on 2.1 tires (fast tracs) on my hardtail. I weigh 215 ish. I have a RockShox Dart fork. While the trails I ride have a lot of roots,gravel etc, we dont have a lot of large drops.
    Thanks,
    Possum

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Id upgrade the Dart and run a bigger front tire (like a 2.3 with lower pressure).
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

The perfessor
    running carbon bar with bar ends - no prob and feels good in the root gardens.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

Bro Mountainbiker

Im about to get these because im a whore.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

Im about to get these because im a whore.
    good to be a whore, nice looking bar! i'm enve-ous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My FSA K-Force flat bar has served me well. I am a proponent for carbon bars, seatposts, rigid forks, cranks, etc. Aluminum bars are usually stiff and since I'm on a rigid 29er, the carbon helps smooth out the ride a little better.

miwuksurfer
    Just got the carbon carnegies on my new rigid ride. Them with the 2.4 ardents and I don't miss my old marzocchi at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been using the Easton EC70 wide bars. They are pretty light, comfortable, reasonably priced and of course wide.

mtbr member

Salsa Pro Moto...

Have them on 3 bikes. Love em.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    Have them on 3 bikes. Love em.
    Been riding a set for over a year now on my rigid SS.... 25.4mm too
    Last edited by ozzybmx; 10-23-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    running a EC70 on my front suspension 1x9 29er. definitely gonna get one for my rigid SS 29er.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are Carbon Bars worth dealing with?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1319385079.863855.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just set these up: Easton MonkeyLite XC carbon 685mm with Ergon team series carbon grips with integrated bar ends. Used Ergon's "LS100" bar end plugs, which help to prevent squashing the bars when tightening down the ends. Bars are low rise and total setup (first time I've tried this style of grip) feels really nice. Takes a while to play with positioning, but then your hands just sit where they should. Nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have Titec Pluto's and Race Face carbon bars for about 3 and 2 years respectively. Both are on bikes with Fox suspension forks and I have fairly squishy grips (Odi Rogue or similar). I don't really notice a difference between them and my Ibis aluminum bar, especially given the suspension fork and squishy grips. I got them because I was on a mission to lighten up my bikes without giving up performance and they helped me do that as they replaced cheap relatively heavy bars.

I haven't had a problem with lock-on grips on them, but I found that the TwentySix gas cap bar ends with just one set screw weren't compatible with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've had monkey lites-(lots of flex) on two bikes and was riding a havoc till last week-(no flex, smooth at some angles but not where I like it set). Then I got a niner flat top bar. The niner bar is so nice. Cant feel any flex but everything is much smoother.
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.

Birdman aka JMJ
    I've been running low-rise Nashbar/Performance carbon bars on my 2 SS bikes (ti-rigid and steel-hardtail). Purchased mainly to shed weight and increase grip width. I didn't notice any significant change in rigidity, but the extra width is noticeable. Just picked up a Performance low-rise bar for my wife's SS too. Nice upgrade from her Sun/Ringle aluminum low-ride.

JMJ

Broke college student
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mat-with-one-t View Post
    Holy brake lines!! Haha, just kidding. I assume you just set em' up.

But, to the matter at hand, no, spending more than $20 more for carbon bars is a waste. I got my carbon EC70's through an employee at a local shop that got them to me at cost, so I ended up spending the same for those that I would have for mediocre Al bars. That made it pretty easy to justify. Would I shell out big bucks for them? Absolutely not. My carbon bars are the exact same dimensions as the Al bar they replaced, just about a pound lighter (my old bars were some solid steel junkers I got for free just to get my bike built up) which let me make a pretty apples to apples comparison. While it's nice to shave that pound off the front-end, I don't notice any other differences. They don't soak up trail chatter. I can't tell a stiffness difference. They certainly didn't make me any faster. Nothing. Don't waste your money upgrading from Al. That's my $0.02
    I like beer.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by nickav21 View Post
    I got my carbon EC70's through an employee at a local shop that got them to me at cost, so I ended up spending the same for those that I would have for mediocre Al bars.
    You shouldn't post that online. Quality almost dropped my shop a few years back for catching wind of a crooked employee doing the same thing you mentioned.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Now broadcasting from CO
    +1 for ENVE Sweep Bars. If I had the extra cash I'd buy another one and put it on my SS (Al truvativ world cup bar on there now, which is nice and wide). I have one on my FS racer bike and it is bomber. IMO, a little more vibration dampening up front can't hurt a rigid SS.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mat-with-one-t View Post
    Just set these up...
    Nice work on the color scheme, looks great!

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by nickav21 View Post
    My carbon bars are the exact same dimensions as the Al bar they replaced, just about a pound lighter (my old bars were some solid steel junkers I got for free just to get my bike built up) which let me make a pretty apples to apples comparison.
    It's unclear whether your old bars were steel or aluminum.

mtbr member

mine are also 25.4mm...

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Been riding a set for over a year now on my rigid SS.... 25.4mm too
    Although I weigh 250 lbs they have performed flawlessly. Where I ride I do not need the stiffness of the oversized bars. Amazing how much smoother they are than alu bars.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The only carbon bars I've used were some cheapo Forte (Performance) flat bars. They actually were way more comfy from a vibration standpoint than any Al bars I've used, but they were way too narrow so I sold them. By far the stiffest bars I've had were some Titec flat bars. Holy crap, stiff and heavy. But they took tons of diggers without giving an inch and cost like 10 bucks on sale at Pricepoint.

So from my limited experience as a cheap-ass I would say not worth it, but far be it from me to say anyone shouldn't blow a bunch of money on a shiny bike part.

Oh yeah those were both 25.4. I haven't used 31.8 for years. And I moved one of my cross bikes over to 26.0. Like I said, cheap-ass.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This will mark me as irredeemably old school, but I don't think the small weight savings of the bars is worth putting carbon in such a critical location. Four places I'm not comfortable with carbon is bars, stems, steerers, and crowns, since a failure in any of those locations means an extremely bad day for you.