Faster Than Your TV!

Carbon bars and Thomson stems...

...any problems with this combo? I seem to recall hearing that older ('03-ish) Thomson stem clamps weren't exactly carbon-friendly, something about the machining of the inside clamp surface.

True?
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt
    ...any problems with this combo? I seem to recall hearing that older ('03-ish) Thomson stem clamps weren't exactly carbon-friendly, something about the machining of the inside clamp surface.

True?
    No problems here (5+ years).

b1umb0y
    Last edited by b1umb0y; 05-10-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Faster Than Your TV!

Did a search & found what I was looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y
    No problems here (5+ years).

b1umb0y
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...tem+carbon+bar
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

ali'i hua
    only issue ive seen is dont over-tighten the thompson bolts. saw a bar clamp piece (that the right word) at the LBS not too long ago that was cracked in the middle, right thru where it says "thomson". and it was being used with a carbon bar.

torque wrenches are your friend!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steamroller

Just chamfer the sharp edges

Thomson is the best stem going IMHO, but they do have sharp edges. I've had two very good shops tell me that I should round off the sharp edges where the bar meets the stem, especially the outer edge where flexing of the bar could push it against it. It's a good thing to do with brake levers too. I have done it three times now, once with emery cloth and twice with a dremel.

Oh, I also like to use a good torque wrench on most fasteners, especially when carbon parts are involved.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

King Pin

Good job! Sharp edges.

I just learned second hand from a very good buddy of mine that a certain well respected framebuilder recommends a different manufacturer of stems and seatposts, or suggests smoothing out the sharp edges a bit.

I've heard tales of a Thommy seatpost eating right through the rails of a seat??

Anyway, I'm checking mine, as I only use Thomson products in those two critical areas.

Medium?

I just took mine apart

after a few years. The 26" bar has a very slight indentation from the inside of the stem plate, but nothing on the outside where you would expect it from flex. I'm 190 lbs.

I used to have a 24" bar in the same stem, and I checked it out too. That one shows four slight indentations on the front side from the stem plate. It seems like I used it for a shorter period of time too. Hmmm. Clamped too tight perhaps.

In any case, I wouldn't hesitate to use either bar in a Thomson Stem, new or as they are now.

JJT
    mtbr member
    I've been riding this combo seriously for 1.5 year know. I will get a new bar (same type) soon just to for my own state of mind, but untill now no problems and no sign of wear. I just removed the grips last weekend and saw some air bubbles under the coating beneath it. Anyone saw this phenomenon(???)?

JJ

And He was Not

2 for me

I have had 2 faceplates crack. Thomsom said 90% of the cracked faceplates were on Eastom CF bars. I was informed the newer faceplates were redesigned , but there still were a few of those that cracked also. Overtightenening can contribute to the cracked plate, but it was not the only factor. Thomson said it has something to do with the shape of the Easton carbon bars, it seems that they are not radius the same as the faceplates.

mtbr member
    Running the combo for 2 plus years and all smiles. My fav stem/bars hands down. Oh yes, for gods sake use a torque wrench!

MS
    Click That Sh*t

banned
    Apr 2004

Don't think we didn't notice your bike,

Quote Originally Posted by JJT
    I've been riding this combo seriously for 1.5 year know. I will get a new bar (same type) soon just to for my own state of mind, but untill now no problems and no sign of wear. I just removed the grips last weekend and saw some air bubbles under the coating beneath it. Anyone saw this phenomenon(???)?

JJ
    again.
    Damn that thing is so nice, it hurts the eyes,
    you should devote another thread to that machine.

JJT
    mtbr member
    Ha ha, thanks!! I'm still in love it myself and love just to look at it! I just changed wheels and brakes, so I will show it in a new thread, always good to hear other people like your bike.

JJ

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Mines an 03 stem with carbon bars and I'm "not dead yet."
    Hmmmm...maybe my God-given torque-wrench is super accurate?
    Attached Images Attached Images