Carbon bar recommendations for SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Carbon bar recommendations for SS

I have a 2015 Trek Superfly SS and I am loving it! I would like to replace the alloy bar with a carbon bar to dampen the bumps to my hands a little.

I like the geometry of the stock bar, so would like to keep in the same range there, more or less.

The stock bar is a Bontrager Race Lite Low Riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 9 degree sweep, 720mm width.

I want a strong enough carbon bar to take the torque put on a bar of a SS. I weight about 190 lbs if that matters.

I want a bar from a reputable manufacturer that will stand behind their product. Quality is more important than price.

Thanks for any recommendations!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Don't know enough to rec any bars. But just wanted to compliment your post, very nice.

mtbr member
    FaceFace Next SL is a good low rise bar.

I'm using a Niner RDO carbon bar which is flat, but if your current only has a 5mm rise, you may not notice. The Niner RDO has a lot of flex. A lot of my SS buddies ride with one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a Next on two differnt bikes....love them. Unfortunately I can't offer any comparision, though.

achiever
    Syntace Vector Carbon Hi 5 comes in a 9mm sweep. I'm running a Low 10 on my Soma Juice SS & an inverted Low 5 on my Fatboy. Both of mine are 12mm sweep, though.

The Original Suspect
    Easton makes some great carbon bars. I personally love the Haven carbon and you can usually find deals on EC70 and EC90 bars. Lots of great carbon bars out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've got 2 pair(flat and low rise) of FSA SLK's. I like 'em for the piece of mind(@200+#) of the hybrid carbon/alum. They dampen well and the price was right. 740mm, flat, on my rigid SS feels pretty right to me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've got 35mm Next bars on my AM bike that have held up to some pretty good spills. My Superfly SS has a 720mm Easton EC90 that seems to have taken a little of the edge off. They're underweight at only 123g which scared me a bit even at 140lbs. They've been solid, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've got the Enve Sweep flat bar. It is fantastic at damping the rough stuff. Just added their stem also.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for all the recommendations! I have been looking at the Easton EC70 and the Easton EC90 SL. I guess my main concern about carbon bars was not so much damage from crashing but from all the torque placed on a SS bar when standing mashing the pedals on steep climbs.

SS Pusher Man
    I ran a Crank Bros. Cobalt 11 780mm 10mm rise bar for about 2 years with zero issues.

I have since swapped out for a Answer Pro Taper DH Carbon 780mm 20mm rise. Really stiff.

Both were run with a Sunline XC-1 stem.....I get more flex out of the stem than I do the bars.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Bontrager RXL 720mm should be quite similar...

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Easton...
    "Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks that is what they is, is the happiest lot."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks everyone. I have ordered the Easton EC90 SL.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by treasureman View Post
    Thanks everyone. I have ordered the Easton EC90 SL.
    And how do you like them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    And how do you like them?
    I like it a lot! At first I was a little worried about all the torque I put on the bars on the single speed when climbing steep hills, but no more. It does flex a little but I think maybe it is supposed to, that is what helps to dampen the bumps and makes it easier on your hands and wrist when going over rocky sections downhill.

mtbr member
    The Bontrager RXL Carbon will have the same dimensions as your stock alloy bar. It's a great bar and is super light with the dampening qualities you're looking for. Plus you've got a 30 day return policy with Bontrager parts.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    I just built up a new bike with a carbon Thomson bar. I can't say specifically if it's the bar I like but I'm sure happy with the entire package after racing it for the first time last weekend. And I tend to trust Thomson products with how much testing they do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks good, thinking of doing the same combo to match my Enve fork. Just deciding between the Thompson Ti handle bar I wanted to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    I've got the Enve Sweep flat bar. It is fantastic at damping the rough stuff. Just added their stem also.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running ENVE's on two bikes and Pro XCR on another two. The ENVE are wider and a good bend, very stiff too perfect for SS. But all up most high end bars a rider would struggle to notice a difference in performance. I certainly can't. The ENVE has the "ooooooooooooh nice bar" factor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Loving my Niner carbon bars, have a set of flat's and two sets of the low top (all bought on sale from Jenson for $80). LOVE the bend on the low tops, and they help with trail chatter a lot.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    But all up most high end bars a rider would struggle to notice a difference in performance.
    I agree. On my rigid SS (@ 190#) I've had Easton Monkeylite DH, FSA/Answer ProTaper, Enve RSR, Race Face Sixc, - I can tell little or no difference in stiffness/vibration. They're friggin' stiff. Grips make a bigger difference IMO.

But Syntace may be the exception. I've had two. I can still remember my first ride on them 8-9 years ago (my first carbon bars). An eye opener. Very different than aluminum. My latest, an uncut 740 w/12d bend (2011?), feels silky, and has flex I could feel when standing and climbing hard (annoying). They were more comfy in general, which was nice, but also, when trails got fast and rocky, they felt flexy, and not confident inspiring (sorta chaotic). Off they came. Compliance is good; too much compliance is bad. I went back to the Easton Monkeylite with ESI chunkies. The increase in stiffness was immediately noticeable.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit