Can't find it - GRIND IT!- Mtbr.com
    75% Mountain cycle

Can't find it - GRIND IT!

A successful dremel job finds the perfect gear for the perfect bike.

This is my only bike now. After owning the best & most advanced products over the years, I have settled into a hermit minimalist lifestyle of soul-riding a trouble free singlespeed convert made up with orphan components and elbow grease.

I no longer fret over nicks in carbon, creaks in high end cranks, slop in pivots, and scars in stanchons.

All this nature talk makes me have to go poop.... I better go.

Anyway - here's my only bike now. I love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

wot no bike?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    What exactly did you do? grind it out to make it semi-vertical?

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    What exactly did you do? grind it out to make it semi-vertical?
    I think he removed just enough extra metal so that he could get perfect chain tension without a tensioner, previously it was prolly too loose.

-pete

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

mtbr member
    Nice to see someone with a Panaracer MegaBlaster. My favorite tire. Nice bike too!

Mojoe

75% Mountain cycle

Just enough to get a tight chain

I found that 32x16 was just a little loose so I ground about 1/8" straight back opposite the BB shell. I got a solid axel and use BOB-nutz so I can tow the kids around.

It's crazy what a small amount of grinding yields in chain tension.

For those who have not used FixMeUP - Once you get a gear combo that works w/o a tensioner, even if it's like 42x12 or something crazy, go to "FixMeUp" at http://eehouse.org/fixin/. Plug in your approximate chainstay length. Plug all your other info in and your actual found gear combo will give you an exact chainstay length. It will also show what other gear ratios will work with your chainstay length.

Here's my official shovel handle chain tensioner - I jam it in to get the chain tight when I cinch down the Bob-Nutz.

Category Winner
    So you jam the shovel handle in while you cinch down on Bob's nuts??
    Are we still talking about bikes?

He said nuts. huh huh huh
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Category Winner
    Oh yeah, constructive input.
    I did the same thing to a road frame a few years ago. I didn't have a dremel, so I did bad things with a drill (horrible things). I didn't bother trying to get the hanger off, and in the end it was a good idea to leave it. Someone I knew ended up needing a road frame, and it was still able to go geared when called upon.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    Nice Special Ed. What fork dat is on dere?

wot no bike?
    usr666: LOL, and I like the "IZ" removal as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thats great now just get a good suspension fork and weld on some rear disc mounts and your in business haha

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan
    A successful dremel job finds the perfect gear for the perfect bike.

This is my only bike now. After owning the best & most advanced products over the years, I have settled into a hermit minimalist lifestyle of soul-riding a trouble free singlespeed convert made up with orphan components and elbow grease.

I no longer fret over nicks in carbon, creaks in high end cranks, slop in pivots, and scars in stanchons.

All this nature talk makes me have to go poop.... I better go.

Anyway - here's my only bike now. I love it!
    I did the same thing exept I went forward 5mm and now have slightly adjustable horizontal droputs so that I can get nearly a year out of a chain before it stretches too much to adjust the slack out, that's when I know I need a new chain. I also cut my hanger off.
    "Do not touch the trim"

CB2
    Jam Econo
    This is all food for thought. I rode my bike without a tensioner for 3 weeks and everything was fine. Until my first race on it were I dropped my chain 4 times in the first lap. I guess it elongated just enough in those 3 weeks.
    Now If I could get a year out of a chain without a tensioner...

Let's ride
    The new chains stretch quite a bit, and keep stretching for a good couple hundred miles.

Nice McGiver fix to the problem. I have a frame i can try this on.

mtbr member
    I found that 32x16 was just a little loose so I ground about 1/8" straight back opposite the BB shell.
    Here's my official shovel handle chain tensioner - I jam it in to get the chain tight when I cinch down the Bob-Nutz.
    I had an old Trek 870 that I filed the front of the drop outs to get 32x16 to work.

My Gary Fisher Cobia is working with a 32x18, which didn't I didn't expect.... Maybe I grabbed a stretched out chain from the drawer.

My method for setting chain tension with horizontals is to pull the wheel back and snug up the left nut... then push the front of the wheel towards the drive-side until the tension is where I want it... and tighten the right nut. I then loosen the left nut and center the front of the tire between the chainstays.

Mojoe

try driving your car less
    yo cover those bar end clamps before you take a core sample of your gut. you can take a razor to a wine cork no prob.

total simplespeed with that flats!

i am getting there, too. so much crap breaking and creaking and then the dollars.
    Only boring people get bored.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    yo cover those bar end clamps before you take a core sample of your gut. you can take a razor to a wine cork no prob..
    You mean like this....

WARNING - a strong stomach required before opening this link
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=236746
    It's only pain......

Harrumph
    Advise from someone who has ran a "magic gear" bike for years before just getting an ENO. Watch the chain stretch/wear. You're going to loose tension over time and potentially drop a chain. And that of course happens at the worst possible moment(ask my nutz).

'edit' OK, a few others already said this...I need to read more before posting.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

75% Mountain cycle

Posted before

I snagged these photos years ago. Not sure who these frames belong to but here are 2 Ti frames that got the GRIND! Imagine the commitment and balls of steel (or Ti) to grind a classic Merlin frame like this....

75% Mountain cycle

OK - now I have 2 bikes

All the fixy threads got me excited about building a fixy back up. Thanks to craigslist and all the begging I did for free parts, I only have about $20 in this bike and most of that was in the tires.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    All the fixy threads got me excited about building a fixy back up. Thanks to craigslist and all the begging I did for free parts, I only have about $20 in this bike and most of that was in the tires.
    Trip out. I have that exact same frame hanging in my garage. It was my first singlespeed like 8 years ago.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Members who have read this thread: 0