cannondale trail 3r- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

cannondale trail 3r

hi, any imputs/pics on this particular model? im interested
    thaks

Bro Mountainbiker
    The one I rode was very stiff. But its a cool bike regardless.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Very nice bike imho. Almost bought one. Brakes are worthless though, and I've heard many things about the BB creaking like mad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

back to basics

Oh yes, I like what I see initially.
    Finally a stiff no-nonsense frame/fork combo in Al. I used to dream that Klein would make a comeback with that very bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    does anyone think a 2.4" tire was in mind with this frame?

Slower than you...
    I've got the 2011 version of this bike (when it was white) & I'll offer up the following comments.

Pros:
    1. It's cheap and fun
    2. It's geared nice & low (33 x 20), so you won't walk (much) if you're a new SS'er.
    3. Nice, neutral handling - very predictable.

Cons:
    1. Brakes are utter shite. It's nearly impossible to adjust them for a nice (lasting) consistent bite.

2a. EBB slips & pops like a mofo. It will get to the point where you don't trust it on short steeps. Torque up the pedals on an out-of-the-saddle-givin-it-all-you-got climb & it sounds like a shotgun going off. I've endoed going uphill more than once because of this.

2b. Speaking of the EBB - it's good for 1-2 chain length changes before you'll need a hammer to loosen it. There's a spring clip bolt retainer that's embedded in the EBB body that will pull out after a couple of chain length changes. After this happens, you'll need a hammer & a long, thin punch to loosen the EBB.

3. If you're built like a gorilla (short legs, long arms), look elsewhere - tall standover & short reach make for a funky fit.

As for tires, the front will take a 2.4 (heck, you could probably mount a truck tire up there), but the back will only fit a 2.1.
    Start slow, then taper off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhood View Post
    I've got the 2011 version of this bike (when it was white) & I'll offer up the following comments.

Pros:
    1. It's cheap and fun
    2. It's geared nice & low (33 x 20), so you won't walk (much) if you're a new SS'er.
    3. Nice, neutral handling - very predictable.

Cons:
    1. Brakes are utter shite. It's nearly impossible to adjust them for a nice (lasting) consistent bite.

2a. EBB slips & pops like a mofo. It will get to the point where you don't trust it on short steeps. Torque up the pedals on an out-of-the-saddle-givin-it-all-you-got climb & it sounds like a shotgun going off. I've endoed going uphill more than once because of this.

2b. Speaking of the EBB - it's good for 1-2 chain length changes before you'll need a hammer to loosen it. There's a spring clip bolt retainer that's embedded in the EBB body that will pull out after a couple of chain length changes. After this happens, you'll need a hammer & a long, thin punch to loosen the EBB.

3. If you're built like a gorilla (short legs, long arms), look elsewhere - tall standover & short reach make for a funky fit.

As for tires, the front will take a 2.4 (heck, you could probably mount a truck tire up there), but the back will only fit a 2.1.
    Are there 3rd party EBB's that can be bought? The whole idea (for me, anyway) of having a SS rigid is low maintenance and messing with the EBB all the time seems sorta counter to that idea...
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Cannondale Bad Habit
    2015 Niner RLT

Never trust a fart
    EBB's are very problematic. Creaks, seizing up, just a royal PITA.

Try to find a bike with sliders.

Only thing coming to mind are steel SS's like the Kona Unit, SE Stout, Jamis Dragon. There are more out there.

Slower than you...
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyeggo View Post
    Are there 3rd party EBB's that can be bought? The whole idea (for me, anyway) of having a SS rigid is low maintenance and messing with the EBB all the time seems sorta counter to that idea...
    Of course - there's a shop near me that specializes in tandems. He hooked me up with one that's been more durable & has stopped the slipping.

Of course, if you're comfortable with the 33 x 20 ratio, you won't need to mess with it. You'll only need to loosen the EBB if you're changing ratios.

mtbr member
    Of course - there's a shop near me that specializes in tandems. He hooked me up with one that's been more durable & has stopped the slipping.

Of course, if you're comfortable with the 33 x 20 ratio, you won't need to mess with it. You'll only need to loosen the EBB if you're changing ratios.
    That's cool. What was the EBB that you had installed?

Do you have to mess with the EBB as the chain stretches or does it not stretch enough to wear you have to move the EBB? (Sorry in advance for the newb question - never had an EBB before).
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

Slower than you...
    I had a Bushnell EBB installed.

I haven't gotten enough miles on the bike (700 & counting) to get any appreciable stretch. I only adjusted the EBB because I was changing ratios.

mtbr member
    I had a Bushnell EBB installed.

I haven't gotten enough miles on the bike (700 & counting) to get any appreciable stretch. I only adjusted the EBB because I was changing ratios.
    Cool. Thanks for the reply. I hope the new BB works out for you. If you think about it, check back in and let us know how it holds up.
    2015 Trek Stache 7 SS
    2015 Niner RLT

mtbr member
    yes...bump (and overkill: http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/c...ml#post9022870

but now it's late february and maybe more folks have more to say about it...how's the EBB going now? my GT Peace 9r EBB is doing fine (so far).

i'm about to pull the trigger on one of these...but if another EBB can be ultimately slapped in, that's good. i plan to race with this if i get it.