Cannondale Optimo Frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cannondale Optimo Frame?

Has anyone built one of these frames up as a SS mountain bike? Wondering if there are any pitfalls or problems with this possibility?

Thanks!

Russ

Is my rear tire flat?
    Well I do not have a lot of experience to draw from but my 1FG is an Optimo frame. So far I have not seen any problems at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Liberty Lake Wa.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks, But

Quote Originally Posted by dlbennett
    Well I do not have a lot of experience to draw from but my 1FG is an Optimo frame. So far I have not seen any problems at all.

I should have been more specific. I was asking about the frame they use on their geared hardtails. I have a line on a nice F2000 SL frame that's never been built and wonder if anyone has built a SS using these geary frames. The 1FG has an EBB and the geary frames do not. I am sure there mya be other differences as well.

Russ

mtbr member
    I might have some input as a SS newbie. For the past 2 weeks I've been going through the learning curve of changing an ORYX Al HT to SS. BTW, my Scalpel is currently being warrantied and I've requested for a 1fg replacement (fingers crossed).

Pretty much all typical HTs can be converted to SS. If you're asking if it's possible to do it without a tensioner, I'd say yes but there's a couple issues.

First, the chain stretches - quickly. In my case, I used my TransRockie chain (which was used for all the training this season leading up to it as well). I figured it would be as streched as one should reasonably expect. Not so!

In only 3 days my chained streched another few mm making it almost too loose - and I managed to dig my single Shimano cog pretty hard into my WTB lazer disc hub.

Lessoned learned, I ordered a Chris King 15t cog a couple days ago.

I've tried a 1/2 link, but you need a shockingly loose chain for a 1/2 link to shrink it to proper tension.

My next band-aid is to run a similar setup to the discos using thin aluminum sheets to cut out a couple toothless 'cogs' to straddle the rear cog. That should help until I hear back from Cannondale.

I see no reason why the Optimo frame wouldn't work, but don't expect to have a consistent natural chain tension for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    I should have been more specific. I was asking about the frame they use on their geared hardtails. I have a line on a nice F2000 SL frame that's never been built and wonder if anyone has built a SS using these geary frames. The 1FG has an EBB and the geary frames do not. I am sure there mya be other differences as well.

Russ
    Last edited by fritZman; 11-10-2004 at 12:34 PM.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    One of the Fasts SS guy in my town rides a Cídale geary frame converted. Its one of the woody frames from a couple of years ago. He runs it without a tensioner but Iím not sure what gear combo he runs. It seams to work well for him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Optimo?

I thought that the 1FG was built on the Furio frameset. It is a little more stout in the rear triangle than the Optimo frame.

Right now my geared bike is essentially an f2000 and my singlespeed is a Klein Attiude, which I would equate with the Furio in terms of having an overbuilt rear end. I think the Furio would take more abuse. But for what it's worth, I love the ride of the f2000 and I have to imagine that with a nice, light wheelset and a fatty shock that it would make one killer singlespeed. Do it and tell me how you like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Eccentric hub and you'll be sweet. Man I loved my old f 5000, 'twas a sad day that baby had to roll out the door during some hard financial times - the things we do for love... If only Cannondale would make a 29"er....

Sam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 1FG is a Furio frame even though it says Optimo on it according to the C'dale rep. They use the Furio because it is a little beefier for the EBB and SS requirements. I do use a '02 CAAD5 frame as a SS with no problems but I use a tensioner.

mtbr member
    The first single speeder I ever met rode a CAAD3 cannondale with headshok. He liked it because the shock tracked well and he had the bit ol' switch right on the top of the stem to lock out the shock. He ran without a tensioner also. I can't remember his gear ratio though. He was fast as heck though. He doesn't know it but he is the one who got me started single speeding.