Cannondale 29er SS - pros and cons?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Cannondale 29er SS - pros and cons?

I'm thinking of having my lbs build me Cannondale Caffeine 29er SS. Any advantages/disadvantages as compared to the cromoly frames i.e Redline monocog etc.

It just looks so pretty in the showroom.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    well it will be a lot lighter than a monocog. Downside you need to run a tensioner/magic gear.

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrun148
    well it will be a lot lighter than a monocog. Downside you need to run a tensioner/magic gear.

I dunno, in geared form it is almost 29 pounds...how much can you lose with a cassette, two deralleurs and shifters? It would be close I'd guess...

RJ
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    how much can you lose with a cassette, two deralleurs and shifters?
    I'd estimate a little over 2lbs gone by ditching the shifting components alone. That doesn't include removing the cables, housing, extra chainrings & bolts or swapping in a shorter chain and shorter chainring bolts.

If you went with an ENO Ecc. hub over the cheap Shimano hub that would be more weight savings and you wouldn't need a tensioner. You would need a FW though. Or you could go with a DT hub/Endless cog set up and maybe loose even more weight even with a tensioner.

How much does the MC29 weigh with a Reba?

29er Geek
    Has anyone here used the Eno Ecc Disc hub? How much of a PITA is it over sliding discs to get it all worked out every time you change a flat? Issue? no Issue?
    unityhandbuilt

AKA; Jimmy Tango

This is going to result in a @#$%storm...

I know this is get me a lot of flak for saying this, but i am going to anyways. Firstly, cannondale does produce a quality product, and they are built here is the US. But 99% of the Cannondale owners I have met while riding(road/mtb) are nippleheads that think their @#$% don't stink. THat has turned me off the company. i know for a fact that many other people think the same thing. So there, I said it. I live in Lancaster, PA, maybe this is only prob 'round these parts.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    I know this is get me a lot of flak for saying this, but i am going to anyways. Firstly, cannondale does produce a quality product, and they are built here is the US. But 99% of the Cannondale owners I have met while riding(road/mtb) are nippleheads that think their @#$% don't stink. THat has turned me off the company. i know for a fact that many other people think the same thing. So there, I said it. I live in Lancaster, PA, maybe this is only prob 'round these parts.
    I bought a Cannondale after heckling everyone I have ever seen on one or heard talk about one. The company is a joke in my opinion. I sure like the F29 though. It has seen great rides already, and it has functioned better than I ever thought it would. I think it would make a great SS with the Lefty and a rear ENO or something.

But you are probably right about the people that buy and ride them. I always associate them to people that buy Birkenstocks and VW vans. Hehe. Just generalizing for fun of course... I don't really mean it... 100% of the time anyway.

They delete my posts in the Cannondale forum.

Sure are sensitive over there.

mtbnj.com
    If you guys go to the Cannondale forum, go back to about the middle of december, look for a thread called "new Cannondale owner", in that thread, go down until you see "jdog"'s input on January 13 or so, in it is a link for his cuctom f29 ss, sweet bike.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    Don't know any other Cannondale owners but I just bought a Prophet 5 'cause I like the Lefty. Been riding it a lot lately and so far I'm enjoying it. Not as plush as my Yeti 575 but still fun. On the other hand that Caffeine 29er really looks sharp especially if it is converted to a Single Speed with the Lefty fork...am still looking forward to eventually getting one. Thanks for responding to this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    By the way REI just came out with a Limited Edition Single Speed 26er named Novara Reason- anybody know about it? Good Buy or Not?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're after a mainstream, 29er, Al singlespeed, why not the Fisher Rig? It has to be cheaper than the Cdale and you don't have the additional cost of ownership that servicing a Lefty adds in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    If you're after a mainstream, 29er, Al singlespeed, why not the Fisher Rig? It has to be cheaper than the Cdale and you don't have the additional cost of ownership that servicing a Lefty adds in.
    I have a Lefty on my GF Rig... I was just wondering what you meant by "additional cost of ownership that servicing a Lefty adds"? Are you referring to time to service it yourself or that a Lefty requires more service than 'other' forks, or that it is not a DIY service that I could perform thus having to send it in?

Cheers,
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just meant that for most folks, servicing a Lefty would require a trip to the shop or sending it off to PA. Special tools and all that. The Reba on the Fisher wouldn't require so much special knowledge or a super proprietary tool box. Seems to be the more DIY choice in terms of maintenance, and therefore potentially cheaper.

Lefty on your Rig? Which Lefty adapter are you using?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What's the approximate price on the Fisher Rig?

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkYeti
    What's the approximate price on the Fisher Rig?
    I know two shops in my area that have the '06s for sale around $850 to $900....I was SOOOOOOO Close to buying one before I found my Rita.
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    I know two shops in my area that have the '06s for sale around $850 to $900....I was SOOOOOOO Close to buying one before I found my Rita.

Good price but does that include the front suspension? My lbs has one for sale for $999 w/o the suspension.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Wonder what that costs....I just had mine gone through, lubed and oil change for $40. I think I was the first one they did too. Bikes is 1.5 years old, and I myself reset the bearings every 4-6 months in like 2 minutes. Literally. Its such a PITA ..........
    CDT

29er Geek
    Good price but does that include the front suspension? My lbs has one for sale for $999 w/o the suspension.
    yup, the Reba. Two weeks ago there was a 17" and a 19" in Exeter.

They took the fork off of one? How odd. I mean I wouldn't mind pulling mine off, but that seems they'd be hurting the chance of a sale.
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it. The lbs quoted me a price of 1100 for the Caffeine SS.

mtbr member
    I just meant that for most folks, servicing a Lefty would require a trip to the shop or sending it off to PA. Special tools and all that. The Reba on the Fisher wouldn't require so much special knowledge or a super proprietary tool box. Seems to be the more DIY choice in terms of maintenance, and therefore potentially cheaper.

Lefty on your Rig? Which Lefty adapter are you using?
    Ah, understand...

On my Rig I am using Vince's AL steerer tube adaptor based on terminaut's design. On another bike I have a Project 321, and while it costs more it is so much easier to use.

Marty

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    Wonder what that costs....I just had mine gone through, lubed and oil change for $40. I think I was the first one they did too. Bikes is 1.5 years old, and I myself reset the bearings every 4-6 months in like 2 minutes. Literally. Its such a PITA ..........
    CDT

Well, I guess I stand corrected. I don't have a shop nearby that will do the service, though, so for me it would require shipping. But good on you, no Lefty hater here, I just have to run what I can easily fix. If you would, PM me if you know a quick and dirty way to reset bearings in a Fatty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just purchased a new 07 Rig and love it. I have owned all Cannondale's since I purchased my first mountain bike about 16 years ago (4 total). Before purchasing the Rig I test rode the 1 FG Ultra and loved it, then I discovered the Rig & 29" wheels and thought it was worth a try. I do not regret it. I still have my geared Cannondale, but I have been riding my Rig exclusively. The whole single speed and super fast 29" wheel experience is really enjoyable and nice change of pace.

Regards

mtbnj.com
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it. The lbs quoted me a price of 1100 for the Caffeine SS.

you are talking about the 1fg, correct?
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

Members who have read this thread: 0