Cannondale 1FG vs Bianchi Lewis- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27

    Cannondale 1FG vs Bianchi Lewis

    I am looking at two singlespeeds to buy, the sweet looking cannondale 1FG and Bianchi Lewis. I like the looks alot better on the cannondale but im not sure about the headshok and the components on the lewis are a bit better.

    anyone ridden the cannondale headshok and have some comments on it?

    thankss Jimmy

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    121
    i have a 1fg, sort of. I was going to buy a new one but did not for 2 reasons: 1) I was worried about the headshok not having enough travel 2) I didn't like the paint on the 06-07 1fg. soooo, I got an 05 1fg frame(raw with flames), a lefty fork, etc. the bikes weighs in at 23.5lbs, and I am very happy with it. I have a lefty on my Rush as well, but i htink the one I put on the 1fg rides even better. I havm't ridden teh rush since I got the 1fg

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xJAHx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    344
    I too have a 1FG. I purchased a 2004 frame as a leftover for next to nothing (1 1/8" head tube), added a SID Ti Race, and have the complete package weighing in at just over 20lbs. It reminds me of riding my BMX bikes through the woods as a youngster; you can really man handle the 1FG at this weight.

    I can compare it to the Salsa Juan Solo, which is Scandium with a carbon rear. They weigh about the same; the Salsa is more forgiving yet a good bit flexier. Since I have an El Mariachi, the 1fg is now the crap weather ride and the Juan Solo is headed to auction. I shall not get rid of the 1fg anytime soon...too much fun!
    JAH

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    121
    I agree. going from my FS geared Rush to the hardtail SS 1FG has been so awesome its like getting back into the sport. I go up and down faster on the 1fg

  5. #5
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,454
    I have a couple of C'Dales, 1 FG being one of them.
    I ride those bikes basicaly BECAUSE of Headshocks. The first time I tried one of those , I was riding a Marzocchi , and I could not beleive how much more precise these thing are.
    If you don't like the headshock , you can later put a headset reducer ( 25$) and put another fork , but you can't do the inverse with a standard 1 1/8 frame.......
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plume's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,658
    They're both tight looking rides. I wouldn't be opposed to the bianchi... obviously as my avatar indicates I'm thrilled with my 1FG. It's the best mountain bike I've ever owned, period. I plan on racing it exclusively this season and trail riding the crap out of it too. As far as the concerns about the headshock, for an 80mm travel fork 1. it's sooo LIGHT, 2. it's very very plush. There are times when I've taken it past it's limits but I'm not willing to sacrifice the light weight for more travel and cost (lefty). Went ahead and put a stiffer spring in it this winter and it's really dialed in for me now. The headshock is like any other fork, it requires routine maintenance which is easy to forget about. The first headshock I owned i abused for two straight seasons and needed to switch out the air cartridge. The newer one on the 1FG needed to be completely rebuilt after a season of riding the bike exclusively. (I never did any sort of maintenance to it though, I know better now...)

    BTW the '06 is the raw finish with flames, the '05 should be a black finish w/ flames and the '07 is completely differenent - raw finish with some different design. didn't like it at first but it's growing on me, I'd like to see one in person too.

    Things to consider with the stock 1FG, the cranks and BB suck. I'd replace them as soon as you can. ISIS doesn't hold up and I wasn't too keen on the crank arms either. I've since replaced them with a shimano XT set, buttery smooth. I tossed the c'dale grips, the seat post and seat - those are just personal preferances though. Next up will be a wheel set upgrade although I am really impressed with how well the stock wheels have held up and stayed true. I'm just being a little finicky, I want something a bit stiffer and lighter. I'd like to get it down to 22 lbs. As it sits now it's right around 24lbs, but I've had it closer to 23 even with lighter tires.

    Maybe someone can chime in who knows a lot more about the bianchi, I just know it looks tight. Not tight enough to get me to switch though.
    My one says BRAP!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plume's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by xJAHx
    I too have a 1FG. I purchased a 2004 frame as a leftover for next to nothing (1 1/8" head tube), added a SID Ti Race, and have the complete package weighing in at just over 20lbs. It reminds me of riding my BMX bikes through the woods as a youngster; you can really man handle the 1FG at this weight.
    You did more to the bike than swap forks to get it down to just over 20lbs man! Let us in on the secret. A headshock weighs in at right around the same as the SID... you're not gonna drop 3+ lbs that way...

    but goddam the bike is flickable... I ride my friends f/s bikes and I just can't get into it. the 1fg is so freakin light, esp in the front that you can just move it around sooo easily.
    My one says BRAP!

  8. #8
    those are Rollercams...
    Reputation: WTB-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,894
    If you're considering a Bianchi, take a look at the Rita. Same price as the Lewis but with 29" wheels. There's also the M.U.S.S., steel and $500 bucks cheaper. If 29ers aren't your bag and you're set on an aluminum bike, I'd go for the Lewis if for no other reasons than it's A. Italian and B. That sweet Bianchi Celeste green.

    FWIW, I love the Headshok concept, only ridden one once for a short jaunt but it was pretty nice.

    Truly a wealth of useless information.


    http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xJAHx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof
    ...but you can't do the inverse with a standard 1 1/8 frame.......
    Actually, I am currently using a Lefty Speed DLR2 and a Project 321 1 1/8 Steerer on my El Mariachi. Off topic, I know, but just to clarify that it can be done.

    I have 2000+ miles on a Bianchi San Jose (SS on the trail, carbon fork, disc brake up front, fixed at times in the city). It is the same tubing as used on the M.U.S.S which someone just mentioned. Obviously, it is hard for me to compare my steel CX bike to the Al 1FG (very different uses), but the steel Bianchi has been a pleasure to ride.

    Jeff

  10. #10
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,221
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof
    ...but you can't do the inverse with a standard 1 1/8 frame.......
    Quote Originally Posted by xJAHx
    Actually, I am currently using a Lefty Speed DLR2 and a Project 321 1 1/8 Steerer on my El Mariachi. Off topic, I know, but just to clarify that it can be done.

    I have 2000+ miles on a Bianchi San Jose (SS on the trail, carbon fork, disc brake up front, fixed at times in the city). It is the same tubing as used on the M.U.S.S which someone just mentioned. Obviously, it is hard for me to compare my steel CX bike to the Al 1FG (very different uses), but the steel Bianchi has been a pleasure to ride.

    Jeff
    True, you can add a Lefty Headshock to any bike with the 321 stuff, but I took fokof's note to mean you couldn't put an 80mm Headshock two bladed fork onto another bike....

  11. #11
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    I have a Rita and am VERY stoked on it...the Lewis is such a fantastic looking bike...essentially a 26" Rita but in that FANTASTIC Punish-MINT color.



    I like Cannondales too...was looking at a Caffeine 29er but it's a PIG (29#s)
    unityhandbuilt

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plume's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    I like Cannondales too...was looking at a Caffeine 29er but it's a PIG (29#s)
    yes, yes it is.

    oink oink. there's a lighter version coming soon.
    My one says BRAP!

  13. #13
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    Well Spec for spec...

    Cdale 1FG Ultra
    Headshok
    BB5's with Cdale levers
    Firex cranks
    Cannondale Hubs

    bianchi Lewis
    Reba
    BB7s with Speedial levers
    Stylo cranks
    WTB hubs (single duty out back...)

    Seems to me, the fork is a toss up (assuming you like the Headshok...I prefer the Rita...Buy hey lets call it a Tossup LOL) and the other main parts the Bianchi is a better build for the $1400 you spend.
    unityhandbuilt

  14. #14
    mtbnj.com
    Reputation: walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    414

    Maybe not

    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    True, you can add a Lefty Headshock to any bike with the 321 stuff, but I took fokof's note to mean you couldn't put an 80mm Headshock two bladed fork onto another bike....
    do a search on the cannondale or new jersey boards, there is a fellow, goes by the name Jdog, who rides a Seven with a fatty
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,996

    I was oggoling a Bianci lewis

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy1725
    I am looking at two singlespeeds to buy, the sweet looking cannondale 1FG and Bianchi Lewis. I like the looks alot better on the cannondale but im not sure about the headshok and the components on the lewis are a bit better.

    anyone ridden the cannondale headshok and have some comments on it?

    thankss Jimmy
    just today, Man that REBA frt fork felt at least as nice as my cush 600 dollar Fox RLT,
    parts spec looked solid and that classic celeste bianci green is a beautiful thing.

  16. #16
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    just today, Man that REBA frt fork felt at least as nice as my cush 600 dollar Fox RLT,
    parts spec looked solid and that classic celeste bianci green is a beautiful thing.
    I love Reba.
    unityhandbuilt

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27

    Thanks

    Thanks for all your help, I have decided to go with the 1FG.

    quick question, what are the reviews for the 1FG's wheels?

    Thanks
    Jimmy

  18. #18
    mtbnj.com
    Reputation: walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy1725
    Thanks for all your help, I have decided to go with the 1FG.

    quick question, what are the reviews for the 1FG's wheels?

    Thanks
    Jimmy
    What year 1fg are you getting?
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27

    07

    i am getting the 07 model

  20. #20
    Obi
    Obi is offline
    -_-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,746

    Idea! Unggghhh, color wise, go with the 1FG!!

    I don't care how much pretty, expensive lights you put up, however nice the spec is, the thing still looks like something my nephew crapped out after eating a tube of toothpaste. Toss the Celeste fork colors!!


  21. #21
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    I don't care how much pretty, expensive lights you put up, however nice the spec is, the thing still looks like something my nephew crapped out after eating a tube of toothpaste. Toss the Celeste fork colors!!

    That color is fantastic....Plenty of history behind it too.
    unityhandbuilt

  22. #22
    Obi
    Obi is offline
    -_-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,746

    Wink

    I know, I know, but after building up one for a customer, and swapping the fork over to the Talas, we realized that the Celeste on the Reba may be potentially approaching gaudy.

    ~Then again it is a singlespeed, and supposed to be anti-establishmentary, so Ok.

    *Hold it, doesn't it mean if they stick with the historical Celeste color, it has then become establishmentary??

    Crap, I just gotta go ride and ponder this now.

    ~The Talas Blue does look better though, just IMHO.

  23. #23
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    I know, I know, but after building up one for a customer, and swapping the fork over to the Talas, we realized that the Celeste on the Reba may be potentially approaching gaudy.

    ~Then again it is a singlespeed, and supposed to be anti-establishmentary, so Ok.

    *Hold it, doesn't it mean if they stick with the historical Celeste color, it has then become establishmentary??

    Crap, I just gotta go ride and ponder this now.

    ~The Talas Blue does look better though, just IMHO.
    Imagine a Talas in 29er flavor....Now that would be a color worth lusting over LOL!
    unityhandbuilt

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.