Cannondale 1FG- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cannondale 1FG

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Cannondale 1FG

I came across a brand new '06 1FG at a LBS recently for a VERY good price and I would like to know anyone's take on it since I have never owned/ridden a SS before.

I hardly stray away from a very few select gears right now even on the most difficult terrain so I am interested in knowing how difficult it would be to transition to a SS?

Thanks

Tripolar on most days
    I have had many bikes over the years and I really think that C-dales are great bikes. I have a Rush carbon now, have had a scapel and have been thinking of the same bike you are talking about.

As far as making the leap from gears is a no brainer. SS will make you a much stronger rider both strength and skill. Gearing depends on where you live and what you ride. Big hills you will need around 2:1 but if flatter go with bigger gearing 2.33:1 or so and turn some heads as you fly by.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If getting you ass kicked on a long ride/climb is your idea of fun...if trying to push a bigger gear each time you climb the same ride is fun.....get it!!!!! If you dread climbing and like to shuttle.....don't get it.
    IMHO it's really that simple

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback_XCer
    I came across a brand new '06 1FG at a LBS recently for a VERY good price and I would like to know anyone's take on it since I have never owned/ridden a SS before.

I hardly stray away from a very few select gears right now even on the most difficult terrain so I am interested in knowing how difficult it would be to transition to a SS?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    If getting you ass kicked on a long ride/climb is your idea of fun...if trying to push a bigger gear each time you climb the same ride is fun.....get it!!!!! If you dread climbing and like to shuttle.....don't get it.
    IMHO it's really that simple
    Hell, when you put it like that... I might be in luck then.

mtbr member

Go for It!

My first single speed was a used Cannondale 1FG. I had so much fun on that bike, I bought a Seven Verve built as a single speed. I had no problem selling the used 1FG.

Its a great bike that everything works on. You avoid someone else's kluged together bike (just look at all the "messenger" bikes on ebay) and you get something you enjoy. Yes, it will kick your ass the first few times out, but it won't break down on you (as long as you bring the wrench that tightens the EBB).

Welcome to the party!

Got single track/speed?
    Cannondale makes nice bikes. "Difficult" is relative to what your fitness/skill is and the terrain you're riding. Getting a high quality bike will be more enjoyable and make your transition easier. It's going to be more work, but stick with it.

I got the F29 1FG after riding a cheap rigid 29er SS for about 8 months. The Lefty is great. I think that the 26er 1FG has the Headshok, which I hear is stiff and tracks well. In any case, unless you live where there are no rocks, a suspension fork is the way to go. I'm partial to the 29er SS since they roll so well.

-Chuck

mtbr member
    I have the 1fg 26" bike circa 2005 - and I really like it. The headshock is only 80m and can bottom out quickly but you can put more air in it to firm it up. The bike is quite light and snappy. I run Geax Barro Mountain tires on it - they are 2.3's and have good grip and rolling resistance.

I added some carbon bars and a 1" thudbuster seatpost to take the edge off some of the rocky and rooty singletrack where I ride. My Cannondale EBB froze up on me this fall - even the local Cannondale mechanic could not get it to turn. Now I run a chain tensioner and that has worked well.

Overall it's a nice frame with good standover height and most of the original components have held up well.

Members who have read this thread: 0